Do dogs have to 'tie/lock' to be successful at mating? My Jack Russell and her mate get on very well :)

First time breeders of Jack Russell bitch 'Molly'.
When she is mating with her 'hubby' they don't lock. Does this mean it is not successful? They appear to be 'doing it right'
we are loving dog owners so do not need any adverse criticisms, thanks.

Asked by Member 1102291 on Mar 26th 2012 Tagged breeding, mating in Jack Russell Terrier

Answers

Bianca

Please understand, I'm not trying to be critical, I'm just concerned for the health and safety of your dogs and any puppies they might produce.

If you truly love your dogs, and you do not know the answer to this question, you need to separate them while she is in heat and not attempt to breed again until you have more education and are more prepared.

Breeding comes with many risks, if you are not prepared and educated you could easily lose your dog or have puppies with horrible health or behavior problems. Breeding is about more than just making cute puppies; the world is already full of "cute puppies" who are homeless because their breeders were not prepared. Bianca used to be one.

Please, please, please, for the health and safety of your dogs, do more research before you start breeding. You should have the answers to ALL of your questions before you even think about putting two dogs together.

Bianca answered on 3/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

If there's a tie, it means the mating was successful, but if I remember correctly it's possible it was successful without the tie, as well. Just less likely, because most of the semen is released during the tie.

I do agree with Bianca on this one. Smaller dogs are more likely to need C-sections, are you fully prepared for this and other emergencies? What sort of health testing was done on the parents? They need to be checked for things they may carry in their DNA that they can pass onto their offspring such as PRA, hip dyplasia, etc. A general practitioner vet cannot do this testing.

I'm not trying to guilt you as I believe you have good intentions, but I do wish more people realized that a clean bill of health from your local vet isn't going to be enough to see if your dog is healthy enough to breed and produce healthy puppies.
~Tiffany, cookiemiller.tripod.com

Missy

I'm a loving dog owner too, doesn't mean i'm gonna breed my dogs.

Seriously, if you need to ask such a question you should NOT be breeding!

Missy answered on 4/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer