Max

Do dogs have adreneline spikes? The whites of his eyes turn blood red when he gets excited.

Max has LOADs of energy. I have been socializing him since the time I got him at structured play groups and puppy and obedience classes. Recently, at playgroup he has been very excited in the beginning - his eyes turn blood red and he does not behave nicely - he gets a time out for a few minutes, then he can settle and really play. I give him Rescue Remedy, but it doesn't seem to have an impact.

Are these physiological adreneline spikes or just bad behavior? Any suggestions on preventing these episodes? (no demon posession jokes please :-)

Asked by Max on Feb 28th 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Ladie

most male dogs that have a very high point of energy get very excited as you no but when they get extremely happy there irish and the pupil in ther eye gets inflamed and gets red but he is ok his is just happy take good care of him his is very cute by the way!

Ladie answered on 2/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First, something like Rescue Remedy isn't the best idea for your dog. Those herbal remedies are meant for people and are made from a variety of planet materials that are often toxic to dogs. Please don't give this to your dog again.

The trouble here is that what you're describing is quite normal for a dog like Max and isn't really indicative of an adrenaline spike or a "turn" in behavior. It's simply a normal dog thing and he's blowing off steam and burning energy. If anything, he might need more exercise or more mental activity. Some dogs need even more than the play dates and obedience classes to keep them occupied and happy.

Look into getting some activity toys and try taking him on an extra walk each day if you can (or an extra 20 min. play session) and see if that helps things. Then, you'll know for sure after a week or two if that is the issue.

Also, the eyes can get red from exercise or tiredness, just like us people!. Good luck, he's adorable.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

He could be experiencing high energy levels. I would say he might be getting too pumped up or maybe he is not getting enough oxygen.
If you think he is too active you can play games at home and keep them in short sessions. You can buy several plastic containers can hide them all over the house. Put food under them and let him go at it. If he has a nose he will love it. I usually put them outside while I am planting the containers here and there. Or you can do this outside. Also you can offer some ice cubes or crushed ice if he is super hot and his eyes are getting red. Dogs need to be hydrated during heavy exercise. :)
The time outs are excellent you are stopping bad behavior and not giving reward to it. So I would keep doing that. Let him know he is too pumped and lead him off to a certain area to let him know he has to get on the right path

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer