♥Tiffy♥

Do dogs experience any pain while in heat? Really 2 questions in 1.

Please don't go bashing me for not having her "fixed". I am considering it but would also like to know about how much it costs. Also, when my Tiffy goes into heat, the first couple of days she is just not her normal playful and happy self. She just wants to be held and rubbed. Do dogs have pain while in heat? Like cramps or discomfort? Is there anything I can do to releive this? I hate seeing my baby like this?

Asked by ♥Tiffy♥ on May 2nd 2008 Tagged heat in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

None of my dogs were females, so I don't have any first-hand experience with dogs in heat. But, from what I've observed in other dogs and my friend's comments, girls definitely do go through some issues while in heat.

It makes sense to me, since the heat cycle involves hormones and blood and cell shedding, which are two things than can cause irritation, mild discomfort and hormonally based emotions, just like in human women.

Whether or not they have actual, significant pain is debatable, I guess. Just as most women don't have unmanageable pain during their cycles, most dogs are probably just mildly uncomfortable at worst. However, if you take into account th individual factors, some dogs might be more uncomfortable than others.

Personally, I'd get her fixed if you feel she's truly uncomfortable each time. I don't know about exact costs in your area, but the national average for spaying is about $150, but that is from shelters. A private vet can be up to $500, it all depends.

The vet I use, which is the best vet around my area IMO, charges high prices (I think $200) for spaying/neutering. To get my cat spayed, we went to a vet in Jacksonville that only charged less than $100. You shouldn't get the cheapest vet around, but get the cheapest good vet around.

I think we paid about 200 keep in mind a good part of that is for the bloodwork. They need to do that so they know if your dog can safely be put under anestiesa and for other health reasons. As far as heat I don't know for sure, I know its not a fun time for the dog. Until my father's maltese got sick she wasn't fixed but they had to since then, I remember that she was pretty much stuck inside while she was in heat and hated it, she couldn't go out and play with the other dogs. If anything that was probably the worst part for her.

Miss Buddie

A spay isn't a complicated or expensive procedure. I'm thinking it's probably less than $200, but you should check your vet to be sure. Tiffy's a healthy dog, so you shouldn't have any complications. She'll be so much happier in the long run not dealing with cycles and it will probably lengthen her life.

Miss Buddie answered on 5/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

My furgirl pups were all spayed before the first heat so I can't help you. When it was time for my last one, I called or visited all 4 local vets. $81, $84, $84 and $87. I chose the one closest to my house with the cleanest office. Only two would spay Mia before she was 6 months(she 5 1/2 months). I had an intact male dog living here and I did not want to chance waiting. Make a few phone calls. So my last spay was $84, but that was a while ago.

Lily answered on 5/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My vet ballparked us at $175 for my pug. My old vet charged me $200 to get my yorkie neutered. Think of it this way though, you need to look at what they are charging you for. My yorkie's included lab fees and a standard vet check. The price of living was also higher in that area then where I am at now.