Did my dog bring me a gift? What was she thinking?

My 8 yr old weimaraner just brought me a dead rabbit. No punctures. She just broke it's neck and brought it in. We do not take her hunting. We just had to give her brother to the rescue because he wasn't accepting our new baby. She killed a rabbit when she was 6mths old but she tore it to shreds then. What was her intentions?

Asked by Member 240392 on May 31st 2009 Tagged hunting, bringingagift in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Well, I know that cats will bring dead animals to you to make you proud of them... I know that has nothing to do with this, but, maybe it does... Maybe, since you have to give all of your attn. to the baby, your fur baby is jealous...

Toby

Sounds like natural instinct. I have had outside dogs who did this. They've brought me moles, huge bullfrogs, and even mice. There is nothing bad about it, it is natual for hunting dogs such as weimaraners to do this especially when frustrated. Just give her something safe to hunt like a favorite toy with a bit of added scent to it. Hide it for her while someone calmly distracts her attention the other direction. Make up a 1 or 2 word command (find duck) and let her sniff it out. Eventually she will find it and when she does give her a treat and praise. This is a safer way to let her use her natual skills plus it will be fun for everyone. If you do it often enough it will not only ecourage her and keep her from bringing you presents, it will also most likely bond you two closer than before.
Have fun with her.

Toby answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

She is probably still adjusting to the lose of her brother, so maybe right now her instincts are strong because she doesn't have the distraction of her brother around.
Also she couls be jealous of the baby and is trying to show you she loves you and wants attention.
The week we adopted Max, he found a rabbit den (or mole hole, not sure) in our back yard and killed one, no blood or anything, but he was proud to give me this "gift" his whole body was wagging.
It is a natural behavior that can be modified like someone suggested.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

IMO, she's feeding her family. Or showing you her new toy, lol.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

She brought you what she considered a highly treasured gift. She brought you FOOD!

As a Weimeraner, she probably has a very high prey drive, as evidenced by her killing the rabbit when she was a puppy.

She's just doing what some dogs do; acting on instinct and bringing back food to her pack leader, you.

What sort of concerns me more than the rabbit (sad though it is for the bunny!) is the idea that she might be out during the day unsupervised? I worry in that case that she could be in danger of being hit by a car or getting into something dangerous. Keep in mind, too, that if she gets a hold of an animal carcass that was killed with poison, she can be poisioned by that body.