Desperate for advice regarding nipping and biting behavior.

I really need help. 10 week old pup keeps biting my fingers, clothing etc. I have tried redirecting her to a chew toy. I have yelped but it hardly even startles her. I have used bitter spray and she likes it and have held her little mouth shut for just a second and said no. Nothing works. Should I close her up in a small bathroom for a short time out or is that too cruel? Please advise! I am truely at my wits end. It is more than chewing...it is downright nipping! What would you do???????

Asked by Member 1072540 on Jan 7th 2012 in Puppies

Answers

Normal puppy behavior.
I'm not an expert, but have you tried ignoring her when she bites? What I mean is, you're playing with her, then she nips. Next time this happens, try yelping, then turning away from her and completely ignoring her for a few minutes. Nipping equals no fun and no attention, see?
Don't expect this to get the point across over night, now. Repetition is the key. She should get it eventually.

If you need to put her in a small room or crate for a few minutes--not as punishment, to calm her down so that she's not still stuck in play mode, then I'd do it.

agree it's normal behavior, it's also going to be teething. Pups take a few months to get all adult teeth.
buy a rubber kong toy. buy a red one or black one. when pup is redirected to it and bites down it praise the dog each and every time. they will get it. stuff the dog's kong daily. this kong is great to use. if dog bites you do not flail about do not yelp, just stick kong in face and repeat praise when dog bites it.
use a crate for time outs not bathrooms. too many things to chew that they shouldn't.
incorporate fun things to keep dog happy. nap times are crate times. no spraying that could be a reward to some dogs. and no holding mouth shut, they can't help but do what pups do, chew.
invest in kongs, rubber ones. stuff with cheese or peanut butter.
take pup outside when you can to explore and to maybe a trip to the pet store to socialize instead