Dependent Puppy?

My mom's puppy became really attached to me when my mom broke her leg and I had to start taking care of her. The puppy of 7 months old only really listens to me, only goes to the bathroom with me, and follows me around wherever I go. She's a very shy dog and is still friendly with my mom, but won't listen to her or go near her most of the time. I'm leaving back for college in August and I was wondering if anyone had any advice in which I could ween her off of me and more onto my mother.

Asked by Member 1177603 on Jun 29th 2013 Tagged dependent, attached, weening in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Have them take a training class together. Otherwise, when you leave, the dog will eventually figure it out. Have your mom start feeding her regularly and brushing her, etc. starting now. Your mom will be able to treat train once you are gone, because right now you're her human and your mom is just there. I like Nutro crunchies for training because they are small and come in 5 fruit flavors (or peanut butter). This behavior will/should change with time. Your mom can try to start treat training when you're not home for now, but it might not work until you're off being a college kid! ^_^