Currently dog sitting and the dog won't let me take her outside!

I'm currently dog sitting my aunt's German Shepherd for a long weekend and she won't let me take her outside to do her business. I'm never mean with her, but she seems convinced that I'm evil or something. I don't blame her, I know that she just misses her people and I'm a relative stranger to her, but for now it's my duty to make sure she's let outside three times a day. It's at the point where I'm having to follow her around the house until she stays still enough to put the leash on her, and when I do get her outside she doesn't seem to even try to go, just walks around the yard for 20 minutes, looking uneasy. When I tried getting her outside this morning, she peed all over the kitchen floor. I just don't know what to do. It's been a few years since I've had a dog and I have to watch this one for the next 3 days. Just letting her go all over my aunt's house is not an option, obviously. If anyone can please give me some advice, I'd be very grateful!

Asked by Member 1185839 on Aug 16th 2013 Tagged dogsitting in Separation Anxiety

Answers

Get some pee pads and put them down where she last soiled to avoid cleaning. Many shepherds do not do well with strangers. Show no fear and be firm. Call your aunt and learn some hand signals that the pet might respond to, or treats, better than pulling her (which doesn't work with dogs that can walk you!) ^_^