Kuma

Crusty skin on tail

15 year old with skin problems. Base of tail has nice skin but as you move to the tip his skin is very hard and crusty. He also has flakey, scabby skin on different parts of his body. When I comb him I get the flakes out but also some fur. I have to bathe him more often because after a few days he starts to smell kind of sour. His diet is the same. Could it be his thyroid medicine, need to adjust dosage?

Asked by Kuma on Jan 13th 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

rocky

smelling is a sign of an infection. Maybe a skin infection. my dog rocky has the same problem but his is just really dry skin with no smell though. maybe you should bring your little buddy to the vet if it continues.

rocky answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Stormy

Tips of most tails will tend to be more beat up than any other part of the tail because that is the part that is constantly beating against doors, trees, cabinets, people, the ground, walls, etc etc. It recievs alot of wear and tear throughout the years so the end of his tail has probably developed callouses and maybe even have thinner fur there too.

Stormy answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Kuma!
I have some of the same symptoms as you, but I am not quite two years old yet. I have some skin issues that are related to an auto-immune disease, similar to lupus. The vet put me on a steroid called prednisolone, and I also get an Omega fatty acid/Vitamin pill every day to help with the flakey skin. After a few weeks on the steroid, the end of my tail started growing fur again, and the other crusty patches have disappeared, too.
If you are on thyroid medication, it could need to be adjusted as you are getting older. Please see your vet and find out what can be done to help you! Good luck!

Katie answered on 2/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer