Minster  Jr.

Could someone suggest a breed of dog that is good with hyperactive children of the age of 5 to 8.

That would also be good with a handicap child...Short hair breed prefered

Asked by Minster Jr. on Nov 21st 2008 in Choosing the Right Pet

Best Answer

Breeds I'm not so sure but I would recommend a dog 30 pounds and up...a sturdy dog....Why not go down to your local shelter and meet a few of the dogs they have and see if one picks you....I wouldn't get anything smaller than 30 pounds because the kids could hurt the dog....

In my experience some good dogs are: Labrador, golden retriever, Beagle, and boxer. If you want something smaller and your kids are real careful with the dog when the dog is younger you could always get a Corgi (they are 25-30 pounds full grown)

I would still look into going down to the shelter and see if you find one you bond with

If you want one that is going to be good with a handicapped child I would look into getting one that is about a year old that way you can see what his/her temperment is going to be like

good luck

answered on Nov 21st.

Answers

Zack

Some breeds to look into: Labrador Retriever, Poodle, Boxer. Maybe a Pug? or a Beagle? if you're looking for a smaller dog. Although I don't really know about those two.

If you are willing to give on the short hair thing, I would also suggest a Golden Retriever or a Newfoundland.

Please do your research on these breeds - while they are known for being good with children, they are also known for being high energy and requiring lots of exercise. They are not for everyone.

You might consider adopting an adult mixed breed dog from a shelter or rescue. Many have been socialized with children and would love to play with kids again, but have been abandoned because they got too big or their owners moved and couldn't take them. An adult dog would probably also be more calm than a puppy, and easier for people without a lot of dog experience. If you have a child with a physical handicap, a boisterous Lab or Boxer puppy might be too physical for them - an older dog might be better.

Zack answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cooper

I might be a little biased, but I would definitely have to suggest a beagle! They can be super hyper & LOVE to run, so having little kids around to entertain them is a great idea! I've had beagles all my life and always loved playing with them (my parents have a zillion pictures of me out in the yard running around with the little guys trailing right behind me). Once they're grown, they can handle a little bit of rough-housing that can often come with little kids.

They do really well as indoor dogs (at least my boy Cooper does now) but when you let them out make sure they are fenced or leashed because they WILL -- without a doubt -- catch scent of something and take off.

I'd also agree with the others and say check out the shelter -- whatever little guy you get from there will definitely love & appreciate you for it!

Cooper answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you want a dog that will play continuously with the kids or help calm them down?

I have a Vizsla, she is extremely friendly and quite strong so she can take it if a kid accidentally knocks her over or something. I trust her 100% not to be aggressive with anyone (even kids who are not great with dogs). She will play forever and requires almost no grooming, but a dog like her would be too rambunctious for your family unless you have a distance runner who wants a jogging partner or some decent acreage to run free.

I also like whippets. Even though they can sprint fast they do not need as much exercise as some breeds because they are not bred for endurance. That said, they can be very playful and generally are gentle with children, a whippet might be better for a disabled child because they are not as physically powerful as some bulkier breeds, although they are strong for their size. You'd be surprised. They're also easy in terms of grooming.

Those are my two favourites.

Ace

I have a Doberman/Lab mix. He is very loving and very playful. Thats him in the picture. I can say that he is a very large dog...at 7 months he is 60 pounds. However, labs and dobermans are very smart, and very loyal dogs. I think either one would be good for your children. They become very protective too, which isnt always a bad thing if you have young children. Good luck in your search.

Ace answered on 11/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

DEFINITELY A LABRODOR RETRIEVER, i HAVE HAD THEM ALL MY LIFE AND THEY ARE SO AWESOME WITH CHILDREN. mY GRANDAUGHTER WOULD PLAY WITH OUR DOG UNTILL THE DOG WEARS HER OUT AND THEY BOTH LAYDOWN TOGETHER AND WATCH tv ..tOO CUTE, SHE HAS BEEN AROUND MY 6YR OLD LAB FOR 5YRS IT HAS BEEN GREAT WATCHING THEM FORM SUCH A GREAT RELATIONSHIP.lABS ARE SO TOLERANT AND PLAYFUL...gOOD lUCK!

I think going to your local shelter is a great idea for a new fur pal for your family. I would go yourself and see if there is possibly a dog there for you. If there is take the kids with you on your next visit and see how the dog and kids interact with each other. See if the dog acts nervous, scared or does he/she run right in there for the fun. Ask for a room and spent a hour or so with the dog and see how things go.
If your looking for a purebred puppy I would think Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, Golden Retriever, and of course Labrador Retriever
Good luck to you.