could my border collie possibly have allergies ?

she scratches alot, and she bites on herself sometimes especially between her paws.

Asked by Member 320652 on Sep 26th 2007 Tagged scratches in Collie

Answers

Sheila, MAD, MR, MS, JCH-Br, S

Yep, could be allergies, ...or boredom.

My Border Collie was allergic to certain grass. But then I found out, after she was chewing on her paws a lot when I wasn't home, that she was bored and we stepped up our excercise program. Now it's all good and she is sleeps until I come home. No more scratching and biting.

What food are you feeding her?

I would go to see a vet anways and have her checked out. Have a skin graph done to check on parasites.

Sheila, MAD, MR, MS, JCH-Br, S answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zoey

Between her paws? Sounds like allergies to me.

Zoey answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buddy Boy

Sounds like allergies to me. And the 2 things I can think of is food allergies. Try switching to a lamb and rice formula. A lot of dogs are allergic to chicken. It can also be the grass in your yard. Yes, so sad, a lot of dogs have allergies with certain grass. Mostly Bermuda grass is what I hear. So try ruling those 2 out first. If its neither of those, the vet is going to run hundreds of tests to see what the allergy is. No fun! Also, when bathing, use hypoallergenic products. She may be a sensitive pup, and you don't want skin rashes if you can avoid it.

Buddy Boy answered on 9/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A.J.

My Mom brought me to the vet for the same problem. He thought it was allergies too! Not only am I licking my paws, but my tummy gets all red and itchy too, and it only happens in the summer. The vet suggested I take 2 or 3 Benadryl. It does seem to help. Mom gives me the caplets in pieces of hotdog. She thinks she is so sneaky. I know it's medicine, but I love the hotdogs.

A.J. answered on 10/1/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer