Stella

Could Merrick be making my dog sick? How do I know if its been recalled or changed?

I have a 2 year old Shichon (shihtzu/bichon). She's been eating merrick for about a year or so. She's never had any problems with it. Until last month that I bought a bag of merrick that has beef... After j saw she threw up and had diarrhea I searched online and saw that "beef" is not good for dogs.. So I threw the bag away and bough the chicken one (which she's had before)... She been on the chicken bag since.... But yesterday I got home from work and she came to greet me... I turned the vacuum on which she is terrified of and she went upstairs and was throwing up yellow.. I then saw her throwing up laying down, he was unable to stand.. I checked her gums and tongue and they were white as snow.. Ran to the vet he said it was shock and or an allergy but he doesn't know... They had her with oxygen and IV on, gave her steroids and Benadryl. Could it be her food? Could she have a kidney or stomach problem? How do I know if merrick has changed anything? Thank you in advanced

Asked by Stella on Aug 10th 2013 Tagged merrick, food, sick, littledog, recalls, whitegums, whitetongue in Pet Food

Answers

If there was a government issued recall, it would have been announced by the FDA; you can check their website. Your vet may have to put her on a prescription diet temporarily, or until s/he thinks it is safe for you to try something else. There are sensitive skin and stomach foods available (like Nutro in venison or fish), but definitely speak with your vet first before switching her again. You also have to switch gradually (over the course of a week) to avoid stomach upset, or your dog could have icky poo, vomit etc. ^_^

Beef is fine for dogs, there's nothing wrong with feeding beef so I don't know where you read that at, but that is not true, beef is absolutely fine for dogs to eat. I can't say for sure if it was her food or not. She could of eaten something weird outside which caused her to do what she did.

Here's Merrick's website, contact them and ask - www.merrickpetcare.com