Sienna

Congested Puppy: Take Two

About a month ago, I asked a question in regards to my puppy, Sienna, who had a case of the sniffles and congestion. As of today, she's 10 weeks old, growing like a weed, hyper and strong- just like any other puppy her age. My concern is that she is still congested- and I've had her for 5 weeks now. I have paid attention to when it happens most, and it seems to only happen when she's going to sleep, sleeping, or just waking up from sleep. She has been to the vet twice since, and gone through two rounds of antibiotics, and while it seems to be a LITTLE better, it's still there.

Now my vet did mention that she had an extremely mild heart murmur, but indicated that the two were not connected. Overall, she's extremely healthy, but I can imagine this congetion being a nuisance, if not still an impending danger... I'm almost considering taking her to another vet, but if anyone else has some light they could shed, that would be appreciated.

Asked by Sienna on Mar 9th 2008 Tagged congestion, sniffles, antibotics, puppy, cold in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Sounds like kennel cough. The symptoms are classic; congested, especially when sleeping/waking up, but nothing that stops the puppy from playing or being active and alert.

Basically, kennel cough is caused by a virus, just like a human cold. Since there are many viruses that cause it, even a vaccinated dogs can catch it. Antibiotics aren't effective against a virus. They're prescribed to help lessen the possibility of complications like pneumonia. So, two rounds of antibiotics and a still-congested Sienna isn't that surprising to me. :-)

Did she get better, and then worse again, or did it just stay exactly the same the whole time since she started showing symptoms? Does she cough? A hacking, retching type of cough is usually present with kennel cough, but I've heard of some dogs who just have the congestion.

If it were me, I'd take her to another vet. Your vet might be great, but it NEVER hurts to have a second opinion and this does seem to be going on a while.

Jack answered on Mar 9th.

Answers

HAYLEE

IM THINKING TRY ANOTHER VET ALSO!
SHE MAY HAVE ALLERGIES TO SOMETHING SHE SLEEPS WITH... AND ANTIBIOTICS AREN'T GOING TO HLP WITH THAT.
TRY ANOTHER VET AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY AND DO AND SEE IF THAT HELPS ANY

HAYLEE answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gracie Mae (In Loving Memory)

I agree that another trip to vet might be in order. If it's not kennel cough, perhaps she has allergies. Miss Gracie at our house has allergies that are treated with a simple antihistamine once a day.

Gracie Mae (In Loving Memory) answered on 3/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Loomis

I concur, you should get a second opinion. Does she have a cough? Usually Kennel Cough is congestion with a hacking type cough and yellow gunk in eyes. It sounds like you got Sienna at a very young age, around 5 weeks? This is very young to be taken from mom and siblings, did she come from a breeder or a shelter? The only reason I'm asking is if she is from a shelter she may have picked up a virus and if she came from a breeder you should speak with them and ask if the other puppies and mom are healthy. Our Bulldogs tend to be congested a little more then normal due to their flat faces but Sienna does not look to have that same flat face. She is darling.

Loomis answered on 3/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer