Comfortis, Program, advantage, advantix, revolution...simply put which one works the best?

I don't want to spend alot of money experimenting on products. I have read and heard about comfortis and have also heard of program, but I also have read about the side effects and the experiences. So which one works the best? I live in south texas so I don't want to spend money on topical treatments just to find out they don't work. My australian shepard has been an outside dog until now for this very reason. I would like to enjoy him as an inside dog, but without fleas.

Asked by Member 936148 on Mar 24th 2010 Tagged fleas in Other Pet Products

Answers

Hector

I lived in STX, for many years and I am familiar with the area. When I lived there, I had to use Advantix. It works for both fleas and ticks. Since there really isn't an off season in STX, you may have to medicate year round. Or you can try using garlic in your dogs food. This helps considerably,(with mosquitos too) and it kept me from having to medicate but once every 2-3 months. I still use this method in Oklahoma. Since we have winters here, I can get by all winter by using just garlic.
Frontline works for fleas but unless something has changed in recent times, it did nothing for ticks.
You can also switch between the two. If one seems to quit being effective, you can switch to another one for a while, and then back at another time.
So my reccommendations are Advanitix & just a little garlic added to food. Too much will make it to0 pungent and they won't eat it. Just a little will work. My vet approves of this method as well.
Good luck. (I miss STX)

Hector answered on 3/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nibbles

We use Reveloution and have not had a problem with fleas or heartworm for that matter.Our dogs are indoor dogs.

Nibbles answered on 3/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Garlic is toxic to dogs, especially fresh garlic, but also powdered forms.

It's much like chocolate in that some dogs react more strongly to it than others, sometimes regardless of weight/size while others have no outward effects. Why take the chance?

I've personally known two dogs who died from garlic toxicity and I've heard of other dogs becoming ill.

It's not something I'd ever give any dog, even if it did control fleas.

As for the different meds, they do work differently. For example, Program is something that's given once a month and prevents flea eggs from hatching on your dog. That's great. But it does nothing to repel or kill adult fleas. So you'd still need a topical or different kind of flea control therapy.

I find that Advantage is the best all around flea control med, if you're going to use one. It seems to work well, have slightly less side effects than the other drugs but I don't think the original formula works against ticks

I would really talk it over with your vet. There are many products and each works best under different conditions. Besides, your vet may not carry what has worked well for somebody here.

You can also check out Bio Spot; it is more of an ecofriendly flea & Tick control medicine. In addition to whichever one you choose, you can also use PETfection Bug Spray as a daily or as needed spray. It is 100% Organic and Non-Toxic and will keep bugs away, but also treat any bites your dog already has. Nice to have on hand in case you miss a treatment or are going someplace special with lots of bugs. You can check it out at www.myPETfection.com. It isn't real expensive either.