Jesse

Combing problem

I have problem with combing my dog.He doesnt like it.What should I do??

Asked by Jesse on Jan 11th 2009 Tagged combingmaltese in Maltese

Answers

Piper

Unfortunately the ones who need grooming most often hate it the most. I have two little ones that need frequent grooming and the best way to get them used to it is to do it from a young age. Offer a good treat or bone to chew on to distract them and quietly comb something easy like the top of the head or the back. Make sure you speak in a relaxing tone and massage the dog as you go. I did this with my bichon and now that she is older she will fall asleep while we brush her. My other dog I adopted at 2 years old and she is a little more tricky. The most important thing is to remain calm and try to get them to relax. If that means brush twice, pat for 5 minutes, brush a few more times, then it just takes a little longer. Have patience with it because it is very important that they don't become nervous about grooming. Also make sure you use the right kind of brush for your dog's fur. Your vet or groomer can tell you what to use to make the dog the most comfortable.

Piper answered on 1/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You first need to treat the dog while holding the comb in front of the dog so they associate it with good then rub it on your hand to show it doesn't hurt you then finaly lightly brush and work your way to a normal brushing