Colorado courts want to euthanize my 3 year old yellow lab calling her a Vicious dog... needing advice on saving her!!

I have a 3 year old yellow lab that continually gets harassed and terrorized by the neighborhood kids, they yell at her, tease her and threaten her. About 6 months after I moved in one of the neighbor kids entered my backyard without my permission and was bitten by my dog which at the time was on a tether. Nothing came about this. Than about a year ago my dog got out and bit another kid. I was issued a dog at large ticket in which I went to court and paid a fine because I take responsibility for my failure as my dog’s owner to keep her in control. I was told by the animal control that my dog is not to be off a leash if she is outside the house. Than about 2 months ago my daughter was in my front yard with my dog on a leash when a neighborhood girl ran up to my dog and scared her and in return my dog bit her. She is a very loving dog and is fine with all my friends and family including all the children she is merely protective of her property around the neighborhood children who harass her. Now I am facing criminal charges and the courts want me to euthanize her. I am looking for advice on who can help or has any advice on what I could do to save my dog. I am a single mom of 2 kids so hiring a lawyer to fight for my dog is kind of tough.

Asked by Member 1120068 on Jul 10th 2012 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

may i know the details of you and your dog.

Sorry, but your dog can not be loving & fine with all, if she has 3 bites under her belt. Yes, it does sound like 2 were provoked..but you should have taken steps after bite one to ensure this didn't happen again. Only a lawyer can tell you what your chances of saving her are. Many lawyers will do a free consult to let you know where you stand, & how much it will cost you to go forward.
Labs should not be biters, I wonder about her breeding. And sorry..you should have done something to protect her from kids' harrassment. Training to ignore, or not leaving her outside to be tormented were 2 options. Good luck to you..sounds like you will need it.

Try calling a lawyer.

You can see if the courts would allow you and your dog to go through training with a certified Animal Behaviorist. Behaviorists focus on your dog in particular and will help "fix" the issue by training you and the dog. They are not a typical dog trainer, so I definitely think it is worth bringing up to the court. If that doesn't work, there is a No Kill Shelter in Denver called the MaxFund that you could give your dog to if they won't let you keep her. I hope this helps; best of luck!!!