Chloe Poodles

Chicken and Rice diet

Can anyone suggest a good dog food for a dog with terrible allergies? Since the chicken and rice diet I currently have her on isn't nutritious enough...I've taken her to one vet who ran x-rays and blood test and suggested I not give her chicken flavored food (she continues to vomit) then I recently took her to another vet who ran $300 more dollars worth of blood test which concluded Chloe is "very healthy". This vet suggested I put chloe on science diet...nothing changed. I am trying to save my money up to take her to a dermatologist but in the interim...thanks for any help!

Asked by Chloe Poodles on Jul 5th 2009 Tagged extremeallergieschickenandricediet in Pet Food

Answers

Try a kibble of lamb & rice...Diamond Naturals has this formula & is a pretty decent food at a good price!...Do NOT feed Science Diet...The corn & artificial preservatives & colors will only make her worse!...Lamb is a common protein source that people go to for dogs with allergies.

ORIJEN is the best ! Check out the website:
www.orijen.ca

It's all natural products and no grains. Allergies are mostly due to grains. I have 4 cats and a dog and they all loved it IMMEDIATELY! And, I have a couple of very picky eaters.

Zack

You probably need to know what your dog is allergic to so you can avoid it in the food. Have you ever tried a grain free food? Some dogs are allergic to grains. You might also look for a protein source your dog hasn't tried before - there are foods out there that use bison, fish, venison, duck, rabbit, lamb, and other types of protein if your dog is allergic to chicken. Be sure to read ingredient labels - many foods with other flavors also use chicken in the food. Just remember you may need to give the food 6-12 weeks to determine if it is making a difference.

I wasn't able to find the right diet for Zack until the allergy test results came back, because he is allergic to a lot of different things.

Also, if your dog does not have any food allergies, you probably need to go a different route than changing the food.

Zack answered on 7/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Listen to your vet and try the Science Diet. It is lamb based and may solve an allergy to chicken. I would see how she does on the Science Diet.

In the real world, away from the net, many dogs do very well on Science Diet. The worst that could be said of it is that you pay for the vets' recommendation. Make a slow switch to the Science Diet. If it seems to solve her problems, you could leave well enough alone. If cost is an important factor, you could later try Purina 1 or Iams.

With all the testing you have paid for, you should know what your dog is allergic to and be able to select a food that avoids it. No need to feed grain free unless your dog's allergies include grains.

Science diet is awful - don't do it....
too much corn and junk...
How about some SoJo grain free cooking - very easy - this is a mix and you add the cooked meats.
Just add some cooked lamb for a few weeks and then try another meat -
Do each meat for 2-3 weeks before you try another one...

SoJo ( green bag) is grain free and should be very easy on her belly.
Do your regular food in the Am and try the SoJo feeding in the PM-
after a few weeks ONLY feed the SoJO-
You can make up 4 days in advance of the food.
Look around for sales on meat at your local stores... that will help you save money -
they always have meat sales...
The sojo bag goes a long way - it it like hamburger helper for dogs.
SEE here for free shipping link:
( also found in many pet stores all over the world.)
www.sojos.com

To Aster:
"In the real world, away from the net, many dogs do very well on Science Diet."
Yeah, and people can "do well" on fast food, too. Does that mean they should make it their main source of nutrience? Hardly. You can live a decent life without getting many vitamins and minerals.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see the logic as to how a food made up of mainly corn and other veggies and grains is going to give a *carnivore* the nutrience they need to live the healthiest life possible. They can live on veggies, certainly, but at this point meat is best for them. I've yet to hear any logical reason *to* feed Science Diet and grocery store brands, other than perhaps money issues in a low-income family. (But then, my family is low income and below the US poverty level, and we still get my dogs the best dog food from the pet store that we can afford.)
If you have fireproof evidence, bring it on. I wanna see it. Seriously. I may be stubborn, but I truly want what is best for my dogs.

Maverick

Hey Chloe,
Sorry to hear you have allergies! I have them too & know that they are no fun what so ever! I kept chewing on my tail & my feet until I had no hair & would bleed. Mom switched me to a good food with no ground yellow corn, no chicken by-products, & no artificial colors or preservitives. It took me awhile but I have recovered & have a nice healthy and shiny coat!

Mom recommends trying Herring Meal, Rice & Potato formula. It is a limited ingredient diet & has 3.5% linoleic acid which is where it is scientifically proven to show an improvement in skin and coat. You can get it from Petsmart, Petco, or TSC.

Remember, it takes almost 12 weeks to get all of the old out of her system & the new in. So, unfortunatley, you won't see an instant improvement.

No matter what food you switch to be sure to do it slowly over at least a week to keep from upsetting her belly.

Mom work sfor Nutro so if you have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask!
nutroproducts.com

Maverick answered on 7/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I would say Orijen as well.

You can get the total fish one. It has no chicken in it.
Dogs go nuts for it.
Diamond and Nutro as well as SD are not good for dogs with sensitive tummies. Yes, corn products in dogfoods are not good.
Good luck Chloe.

Ty

I have used lamb and rice for allergies and like someone else said it takes awhile before you see much improvment. Also they may look worse before they look better because they have to get rid of all the bad skin so the new healty skin and coat can take its place. I have had to dogs on the science diet food from the vet, not only does it cost alot the dogs dont like it. I would stay away and go with what the others have recomended to try for food.

Ty answered on 7/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm sure you'll get a ton of opinions on a wide variety of foods...The only thing I can offer is check out the foods for yourself. petfoodauthority.com offers information on all of the dog foods they sell (ingredients, guaranteed analysis and more). It's great because its easy to navigate and compare foods. I like them and buy my food from them (I think their prices are great).
Hope this helps and you find a food that works for you and your dog.