Cody

causes for seizures in chihuahuas?

My male chi has had about 5 seizures since we got him---he is almost 3 months old...they are short in duration and he acts perfectly fine beofre and after like it never happened. he hasn't had one for a couple of weeks (that I'm aware of). He has been vet checked but they can't seem to find any specifics. Any suggestions?

Asked by Cody on Jan 27th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Jet

I'm not sure what this is, but it could possibly be an allergic reaction to something. Check with your breeder/shelter on what may be the cause. I hope Cody feels alright!

Jet answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dahlia

Most seizures are idiopathic (ie: no rhyme or reason for it). My dog has had mild ones for years, ranging from 2 1/2 week to 3 months apart. If his blood panel checks good, then keep an eye on him, chart the sezures, and if they get pretty freqent, then consider putting him on medicine. It won't stop seizures completely, but will lenthen the duration in between.

Dahlia answered on 1/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gio

I've put together a canine epilepsy FAQ sheet that may be helpful in this situation.

Link below:
sheltie

Gio answered on 1/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nehbey

Canine distemper has a neurological phase that can cause tremors, seizures, or other neurological signs. If a dog had distemper that reached this neurological phase and the dog survived, that dog can show neurological signs forever. I have seen terrible cases of distemper and also very mild cases of distemper where the dog was barely affected but still has tremors to this day.

This is just ONE possibility of the many that can cause seizures. The reason I name this one in particular is because of the fact that your puppy is so young. Infection is more likely to cause seizures than idiopathic epilepsy (which you usually see in adult dogs).

Nehbey answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer