Saydi Sue.

Candy Canes ?

Saydi has recently gotten her paws onto a Candy Cane (Fairly large) and ate it without our knowing. She coughed up a piece, thats how we found out. Are Candy Canes bad for her health?

Asked by Saydi Sue. on Dec 13th 2010 in Health & Safety

Answers

she should be ok. I have a dog that loves candy canes.
Brush her teeth really good a couple of times. The peppermint is not dangerous to her health.

Yeah dogs can eat peppermint but not anyother piece of candy like Chocolate and sugar and etc..

She will be fine..:)..

The sugar isn't great for her and she'll likely have some stomach upset from the combination of the peppermint and the sugar. Watch for any signs of internal injury or blockage. Straining to go and nothing coming out would be a big sign you need to get her to the vet.

Because dogs don't chew things so well and candy canes can be very sharp, there's a slight chance of internal injury. But the good news is that unlike similar sharp objects, a candy cane will dissolve and the sharp ends will be blunted quickly.

So my guess is that she'll be fine, but possibly a bit sick to her tummy in the short term.

Just keep a close eye on her and take her in to the vet if you see any really unusual symptoms.

If it is just a one time only thing. I would not worry much about it. But i also would be a bit concerned about the sugar in the cane. Keep an eye on her for a couple of days just to be on the safe side.

Jackson

No Problem. Some of the things I have seen my dogs eat with little ill effect - bath beads, Vaseline, chocolate cake, 1/2 lb of chili powder, 1 chipmunk (whole), soft shell crabs (live), etc, etc

Jackson answered on 4/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

just take your dog to the vet.

Ellie CGC

I steal candy canes off of the Christmas tree every year, it's like tradition...and I dearly love peppermint candy, period.

Now, lots of sugar isn't any better for doggies than for people...and if the candy cane was really big there could be some tummy upset.

But generally, if there's no vomiting, nothing weird in the bowel movements, and no behavior change such as agitation, unease, pacing...then the dog may have gotten away with a stolen candy cane.

Better watch out come Christmas!

Ellie CGC answered on 11/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer