Harold the Angel

Can you put sunscreen on a dog? Or do they sell special kinds for dogs?

My Shih Tzu is shaved very short for the summer and I noticed his back is red, I think it is a sunburn. What can I put on him to keep him safe?

Asked by Harold the Angel on Jul 1st 2008 Tagged sunscreen in Other Pet Products

Best Answer

You can purchase sunscreen that is made for dogs at many of the bigger pet stores or online.

Alternatively, you can also safely use children's sunscreen. You will want to look for a type that is fragrance free and waterproof, like Coppertone Waterbabies, which many vets recommend as an alternative to dog sunscreen.

You may also want to talk to your groomer about clipping your dog so close. There is nothing wrong with a trim in summer, but you should leave an inch of fur, or more.

A dog's fur serves to protect him from the cold in winter, the heat in summer, and the elements. Air trapped between the layers of fur helps your dog regulate body temperature at the skin level. It can only do that if there *is* fur and it is brushed frequently to prevent matting and tangles.

A knowledgeable groomer knows this.

Abby answered on Jul 1st.

Answers

Lucy

I was informed by my vet that a little hypo-allergenic sunscreen (like what you would use for a baby) on the snout and the nose is a good thing. Typically those are the areas that get sunburned.

Lucy answered on 7/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I was told that they sell dog sunscreen somewhere online. I am sure you could google it. But i also think that baby sunscreen is fine its what i use when we go outside! Good Luck!

Miss Buddie

Our vet suggests baby sunscreen as well.

Miss Buddie answered on 7/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have a Boston who burns her nose with limited sun exposure. I use a sunscreen made specifically for dogs and it works great!

Check your local pet stores to see if they carry one. If not, a quick search online turned up 60 places to buy it. It averages $10.00 per bottle.

Daisy,  ADOPTED!!!!!

Do not put human sunscreen on him it could possible be toxic. I know that sometimes Petco, Petsmart, or other pet stores sell doggy sun screen. I've heard that baby sunscreen can work just as well but I'm not sure. You should talk to your vet before putting baby sunscreen on him.
www.nextag.com

Daisy, ADOPTED!!!!! answered on 7/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer