can you put ground up tobacco from a cigerette in dogs food to get rid of worms

Asked by Member 566010 on Feb 3rd 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

NEVER EVER give your dog tobacco!! You will KILL IT and the treatment won't get rid of worms!
NEVERVEVEVEVEEVEVEVER DO THAT! It's the insane "owners" like you who would even CONSIDER doing that who contribute to animal abuse.

Please do not do that to your dog. I'm begging you with all my heart with the dog in mind.

The only way you can get rid of worms is through a proper dewormer. If you cannot afford the worm treatment at a veterinary hospital with a proper evaluation from a veterinarian, go to your local pet store and they can help you choose a dewormer.

But the best way to get rid of worms is to prevent them. I would get your dog started on regular, monthly Tri-Heart/Heartguard tablets that are obtainable through your vet. These will prevent heartworms and any other type of intestinal parasite.

answered on Feb 3rd.

Answers

There is medicine to get rid of worms.
Cigarette tobacco is for humans, not dogs.!

Koda

Oh geez- If you can't afford a real dewormer the Humane Society offers discounts on all sorts of things for low income families. My a vet works with families who can't afford to give regular medication to their pets. She does this on her own time at her own expense. Many vets do. Yours might. Not that I'm suggesting you are giving your dog tobacco for financial reasons. This might just be an I'm kinda curious type of question. So the answer, in that case, is NO, cigarettes contain sooooooo many other thing besides tobacco. Haven't you ever seen those truth.com commercials?

Koda answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Odin

Wow, this is an odd question and I've never heard of it! (Kind of like when I was little someone told me if you give your dog eggshells it will cut up the worms inside him) WHAT?!?!? Okay, so yeah, if you can't get your dog proper medical treatment, then you can buy an over the counter de-wormer. The problem is- you won't know what worms your dog has. If I ever use over-the-counter dewormer, I use PYRANTEL PAMOATE. It will get rid of the common rounds and hookworms. However, if your dog has tapeworms (caused from ingesting flea eggs), then you will have to go with a tapeworm dewomer. It's also possible that your dog has whipworms and there is limited success with over-the-counter de-wormers for both tapeworms and whipworms. Then, if your dog is not on a monthly heartworm prevention, you're going to have to deworm him every month. Make sure too that you follow directions and do the de-worm cycle a few days apart, or some wormers are every day for 3 days

Odin answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have to admit that this question has me wondering if it is serious or a prank question.

It could be that the person heard this somewhere as an urban legend or an old fashioned remedy for getting rid of worms.

Unfortunately, it is just that: a legend.

This sort of thing will only hurt your dog and waste time in fixing the real problem.

Please, please take your dog to a vet to get him treated for worms with safe, effective and low cost medication.

And, you might want pick up a dog care manual at the book store so that you can be prepared for other medical and behavioral problems in the future. This way, you can be sure you can recognize when your dog needs to be taken to the vet and what treatments at home are appropriate, if any.

Snowtoes

NEVER do that wat you need to do is get with your docter and and get some medican if it has worms

Snowtoes answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pedro

Well guys and everyone that posted,This is a old wise tale,50-60 years ago people use to give their dogs tobacco to get rid of worms.back then tobacco was not filled with the harse chemicals that it is today. So I'm gonna speak for everyone that answered your question becasue I know these guysaren't like this unless someone is being really stupid.
There are wormers to get from your vet to give to your dog.Try those please.

Pedro answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sebastian Tyler Carr

Snowtoes is correct this is an old old old home remedy and yes it did work and still does but that was back when people still grew stored and dried there own tobacco in their barns. now there are so so many chemicals in tobacco because of processing that it would do more harm than good to give store bought tobacco to your dog so please dont unless you have a plug of tobacco hanging in your barn out back

Sebastian Tyler Carr answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've never heard of anyone who used tobacco to worm their dogs, but this seems to be a very widely circulating "method" when it comes to livestock such as pigs, cows, and horses. The preferred method, it seems, is to use snuff.

It's debatable whether that works on livestock in a way that is safe or not, but it is definitely not safe to use this method in dogs. Tobacco is toxic to dogs - in particular, nicotine is.

Nicotine is poisonous to dogs in dosages starting at 20mg. Each cigarette, depending on the type, contains between 9 and 30mg of nicotine - meaning that a single cigarette can have very toxic effects on your dog.

Ingesting tobacco can cause vomiting, tremors, seizures, and diarrhea in dogs and requires veterinary treatment.