Can y'all tell me some dog breeds that bond with only one person?

I am looking into getting a dog. I would like one that will be at my side at all times. I'm 20 and live on my own. Some protection would be nice as well.
So what I am looking for is a breed of dog who will bond extremely close with me and give some protection if needed. Also, not a dog over 70 pounds. Thank you!

Asked by Member 1089919 on Feb 5th 2012 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

German Shepherds tend to be one-person dogs, aloof to strangers but not totally unfriendly. However, they can be over 70 lbs. Mine was 75 lbs. Some are larger.

Collies. I'm not an expert on them because I have not had any real experience with them (although I am a huge fan of that breed, have been since I was a kid, and seriously want to own one one day!), but I hear that they are very intune with their humans.
They do bark a lot, especially if bored, and from what I'm told tend to get anxious if left alone for a long time.
There are two varieties of Collies--rough (long-haired) and smooth (short-haired)

(Keep in mind, this is in general. There are variations within a breed.)

The post by Tiller in this thread may be helpful: www.dogster.com
Don't limit your research to just this, though.

Someone else will be able to give you a better answer, no doubt.

Porsha Sophia

German sheperd are great one ower dogs they bond great with y. I had one she was great

Porsha Sophia answered on 2/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you're 20 and live alone, do you have the time and money for caring for, training, exercising, socializing, a protection breed dog? If you don't do this, you'll get a stir-crazy beast who doesn't know friend from foe. Not fun.

Dogs that bond closely also often hate to be alone and will become destructive or noisy (which is bad, worse if you have close neighbors or live in an apartment.)

Getting that close relationship also takes work, it's not automatic. Are you ready for that?

That said, the herding and protection/working breeds are most likely to fit what you want. Avoid the sled dogs, the hounds, and most of the sporting breeds, they're too independent or too stranger-friendly (or both.)

The German Shepherd is definitely a "one person" type dog breed. There's other dog breeds that are usually considered a "one person" type dog breed and they are the Dalmatian, Chow Chow, Akita, Australian Cattle Dog, Collie and the Bearded Collie are all "one person" type dog breeds.

However, it all comes down to the question below

How much exercise will you be able to give the dog?
How active are you and how active will you be with the dog?
How much grooming can you handle?
Can you raise, train and socialize the dog properly?
Is this dog breed really right for you?
Can you afford the dog? Dogs can be costly.
Do you want a dog that's good with all people, kids and animals?
How long would the dog stay home alone a day?
What would you like to do with your dog (activity wise?)
How much barking can you handle?
Do you want an easy to train dog? Intelligent dog? Eager to please?
How do you want your dog to act towards people?

Come back and ask the question again and answer these!

Buddy

I recommend a Pit Bull or Staffordshire. They have bad wraps, but they are by far the most loyal dogs you could ever come across. They will not turn on you, and with proper training they are great dogs all together. They are great companion dogs and always have their ways of making you smile. Great personalities and they are not vicious unless you discipline them in such a way. They are just like every other dog. Check out www.guardianangelrescue.org for some great dogs. (I do fundraising for them, and they really are a great organization with great dogs.) The best part of this rescue- all dogs are in foster homes so they are not nervous animals that are just locked up in a kennel all day and night.
Best of luck extending your furry family!
-Buddy

Buddy answered on 2/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer