Neikko - Adopted!!!!

Can two neutered male dogs get along?

Everybody I know thinks that they won't. I like both male and female dogs. What do you think? Has anybody had experience with this situation?

Asked by Neikko - Adopted!!!! on Nov 7th 2007 in Socialization

Answers

I have 8 Dogs. 3 Females and 5 males. All get along famously. We do pet-sitting also and have unaltered and altered males and with a good pack leader and any non-aggressive dogs they all seem to get along great.

WE HAVE 2 NEUTERED MALE DOGS AND A SPAYED FEMALE. THE BOYS DO GET ALONG MOST OF THE TIME (THEY ARE BROTHERS) THEY DO FIGHT SOMETIMES THEY HAVENT QUITE DECIDED WHO IS BOSS! I DEFINATELY WOULDNT THINK IT WAS A PROBLEM TO HAVE 2 BOYS. THEY ARE JUST LIKE ANY LIVING THING, THEY HAVE THEIR MOMENTS!!! AUTUMN

Gio

Proper socialization, a safe meeting in neutral territory, and a strong leader will be key to getting any dogs to live together amicably. I have two neutered male dogs and they are best of friends! Had a few spats, but nothing serious, just figuring out who is going to be boss.

An important thing to recognize is that the human in the equation is the ultimate boss. The human also decides which dog will be next in line and can influence that agreement between the dogs. For instance, when introducing a new pup to the household, come to an understanding with all humans in the family that the first dog will be the boss dog. That first dog will get fed first, let outside first, treated first, played with first, cuddled first, etc. Even if it is only by a few seconds. That subtle choice on the part of the humans portrays to the dogs that the older or "first dog" is ranked above the new dog. It doesn't mean you love one more than the other just that you are choosing the order.

Gio answered on 11/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

While it definitely depends on the individual dogs and their personalities, as a general rule of thumb, male/male and male/female combinations usually get along just fine.

It's female/female you have to be careful with. While many females get along just fine, they can get into it quite seriously even if they've lived together for many years. Females do bear more careful watching and management in this regard.

chuchito :o}

both of my poms have been neutered and they love each other!!!

chuchito :o} answered on 11/7/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

St Nickolas

Well we are a family with two Chihuahua's. Had Nickolas since he was born, he was about 4 when Frankie was a rescue who was 5. Both are neutered males. now it was wonderful and we seemingly were having a great time but after several long months I started finding tell-tail signs someone or two were "peeing" on corners seemed like it was isolated.....HA WRONG.......I started to watch and sneak peek at them .....talk about lying sneaky little so-&-so's

I Ended up going back to square one with training. Because they were having PEE WARS!!!!!! Marking territories in MY House....so I leashed them and put them on a tight and short leashes....alpha dog that's ME took her place and regained my home again.

Small outbreaks happen now and again but I catch them before the "PEEING"starts they only get to the posturing.

St Nickolas answered on 11/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer