Riley

Can PICKLES be a good snack for dogs?..

If not, how about giving the dog a tiny amount of a pickle to him?

Asked by Riley on Dec 30th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I can't think of anything in a pickle known to harm a dog. My guess is that they are largely indigestible to a dog and won't hurt anything, unless they bolt down a big enough piece to choke on.

Maggie

Hey, why not. Maggie loves pickles and sauerkraut too, everyone here thinks it's the weirdest thing, but she loves them. Probably shouldn't give a whole lot at once though, might cause a tummy ache.

Maggie answered on 12/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Tangerine

Yeah dogs can have pickles just don't feed them grapes, raisans, chocolate, eggs, or anything that has emzymes in it. You can feed dogs a lot of table scraps. I feed my dog table scraps when I eat dinner its fine it wont harm them but you do have to watch what they eat. (hint: they love apples, its good for them)

Tangerine answered on 1/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kazba

I remember years ago when i was married we had a num ber of show dogs. They were outside and i walked into the yard with a pickle and they came running and all wanted part of it. So i gave them a small piece and you would have thought it was candy. They just went crazy about the pickel and wanted more. I think they ended up eating more of that jar of pickels then i did. And none of them got sick or anything from it.

Kazba answered on 1/2/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Togo, CGC

I don't like to offer treats that contain a lot of salt -- tell that to Togo when he wants some hot dog --but in small quantities, I can't see why a pickle would hurt. Just be sure it isn't a garlic pickle, as garlic is one of the foods to avoid.

Togo, CGC answered on 1/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer