can my landlord have my dogs removed from my house that im renting

IM RENTING A HOUSE FROM MY LANDLORD AND I HAD A FAMILY MEMBER MOVEIN DUE TO EMERGENCY AND SHE HAD 4 SMALL DOGS WHEN SHE CAME, AND THE LNADLORD DID AN INSPECTION RECENTLY AND SAW THAT I HAD 8 DOGS IN MY HOME 6 OF THEM WERE DOWN STAIRS AND 2 MORE UPSTAIRS MY LEASE SAYS I CAN HAVE DOGS ON THE PROPERTY, AND DOESNT STATE A LIMIT ON HOW MANY. WHEN SHE DID THE INSPECTION SHE TRYED TO CLAIM THAT SOMETHING I WAS CHANGING WAS DUE TO THE DOGS AND THAT THEY WERE TEARING THE HOUSE UP BUT THE ONLY DAMAGE THE DOGS HAVE DONE WAS TEAR UP SOME CARPET THAT I JUST NEED TO REPLACE WHEN I DO MOVE. I DONT WANT TO STAY HERE BECAUSE OF ALL THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD WITH THE PEOPLE AROUND HERE I JUST CANT LEAVE TODAY LIKE SHE WANTS SO SHES MAKING ALOT OF DIFFRENT THREATS ONE OF WHICH IS TO HAVE MY DOGS REMOVED BY THE POUND CAN SHE LEAGLY DO THAT(SORRY ABOUT ANY SPELLING ERRORS)

Asked by Member 908052 on Nov 3rd 2009 Tagged care, laws, limits in Animal Control

Answers

Rusty

Legal issues are very complex, and depend upon the laws where you live. You really need to consult an attorney to find out what she can do - and what you can do to prevent it.

All of that said, many towns have a rule about how many dogs can live in one place - that may be the basis for her threat.

Rusty answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

For my state, I can only have 4 dogs.
If I have more than that I have to have a permit to have a kennel.

So, with that said that is alot of dogs, so he may have no choice as he can receive the fine.
He receives the fine because essentially it is his property, he pays the taxes.
So, it may not be personal like that, he just is going to held responsible.
Then you must replace the carpet or be in court later. If you do move replace all the dog's damage, keep your receipts and Please, Take pictures of how the place is back to normal. Pictures are always going to save you from being in court. Take pictures of all the rooms. Clean, wipe off walls, paint any rub marks, scrub the tiles, what ever it takes.
She can have the animal shelter come and remove them if they are crowded in the apartment like that, then you will have to go to court and deal with fines there also.
Since you are on lease only , then you are responsible for the dogs. sorry but I am trying to help

Ruby

8 dogs in a rented house! seesh! This is why i dont want to ever be a landlord......8 dogs! Wow! In my city there is a by-law in affect that states you cannot have no more then 3 dogs per household, and that's it! If you have 3 dogs you can't even have a cat! If you do have a cat, you can only have 2 dogs. It's called the "Three-legged rule" 3 cats, or 2 cats 1 dog, or two dogs 1 cat, or 3 cats or 3 dogs! Simple! The only people who can own more then 3 dogs must retain a kennel lisense which means their home and yard is inspected so that it can be evaluated to be clean, have so many acres, be fenced in, have so many kennels and such.
Maybe laws like this should be in place everywhere as obviously not everyone has common sense. I bet your neighbors love that you have 8 dogs! I bet you even clean up after all of them in the yard everyday too! Must be a zoo in your rented house! I'm sorry but you sound like a nightmare tenant.........I hope you find yourself a nice house that you can buy

Ruby answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is one of the reasons I no longer have rental houses. The last one I had, we had to in the venacular, "take a cat to". Translation :
use a Caterpillar bulldozer to take'er down. Due to bizarre laws here it took me FIVE months to evict the "renters" who paid no rent. Plenty of time for them to COMPLETELY destroy the house. no lawsuit, you can't get blood from a stone.
I stand with the landlord here, and yes, we DO need sterner laws for city folks, no apartment or single family dwelling on a city sized lot should have eight dogs unless they are all under 8 pounds.
IF you want to have eight dogs, buy a house with some land in the country, you won't need to BUY dogs, all those city folks with eight that are being evicted will be around to release theirs to a FREE life in the country. Well, they just wouldn't have the heart to take them to a shelter!
Irresponsiblity makes life HARDER on responsible pet owners, it is unlikely that landlord will permit dogs on his property again!

Diesel

Seriously ya'll do you really need to get so offensive. Just because she has that many dogs it doesn't mean she is dirty, unable to care for or whatever. Maybe if you ask you can get the answers to some of your assumptions.

As far as your question, i really would suggest looking into the laws in your city. I personally do not think he has right to make you do anything with them unless it is stated in the lease to your home. Research the issue and see what you come up with.
Good luck

Diesel answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I'm sorry you are going through this.

As Dieta said, there are limits on how many dogs a person can have in a home (even if they own it) in most counties. It's different in every place. So, your area may indeed have a limit. If you live in a condo or a PUD, the homeowner's association might even have different regulations than the local ordinances. So, it's impossible to tell if your landlord is within her rights. Certainly, she probably saw that you had a bunch of dogs there and was surprised to see them all.

I think she probably jumped to the conclusion that you are trying to harbor 8 dogs on a permanent basis.

If I were you, I would do the following:

1) Call your local animal control office and see what the laws are

2) Write or email your landlord and explain that the additional dogs were temporary and offer to pay for the carpet. Then you have a record of communicating these facts to her.

Good luck.

Boo

Sorry to say, but your landlord does have some rights as far as how many pets and people can live in his property. Even though there is no pet limit stated in your lease, there is a notion of what is considered "reasonable". Eight dogs in a rental is not reasonable unless you live on a farm. A judge would likely rule in favor of the landlord since his lease is with you. He rented to YOU, not your extended family and their pets also. You changed the agreement with your landlord by allowing someone else to move in with numerous pets. That puts you in violation.

I suggest you find a place to live quickly. (Good luck with eight animals) OR, get ready to surrender some of those pets. OR ask your relative to find a different place to live with their animals PRONTO.

Boo answered on 11/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I do not think the answer would be any different than the first 2 times you asked it.

Also, please lower the caps. You don't need to shout.