Dakoda

Can my dog get too much fish oil?

I was just wondering if it would be bad for my dog if he got too much fish oil in his food. The food he eats is salmon based and i give him a total of 4000 mg of fish oil a day. He is a healthy 95lbs golden retriever. 5 years old, nutered. just same basic info if that is needed.

Thanks so much!


Asked by Dakoda on May 13th 2010 Tagged fishoil, omega, diet, food in Food & Nutrition
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend



Status

  • This question is closed.

Best Answer

Jack

You can actually overdose a dog on fish oil.

A neighbor of ours had a dog who almost died from acute pancreatitis. That's a serious condition in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. Sometimes, there is no cause or it's caused by certain medications or conditions but most often it's seen in dogs who have a fatty food diet. Apparently, too much fish oil, though not traditionally a bad fat, can cause it too. The vet told her the dog was lucky to live and that he sees far too many cases like these where people are accidentally causing issues with fish oil when their intentions are good. My neighbor had been giving her dog the fish oil daily with no ill effects for about five years and the dog seemed in glowing health.

4000 mg plus the salmon is too much IMO. Maybe scale the dosage back a bit and check with your vet to be absolutely sure it's safe for Dakoda. I do believe it's safe in small dosages, but you just have to be careful.


Jack answered on May 13th.

Other Answers


Answers

Chocolate

I don't see that as a problem.


Chocolate answered on 5/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Dieta

you should ask your vet in case. also salmon oil as the omega's.
And the only thing with fish caps is the caps contain other ingredients check the box.
I would think the dogfood is enough of good oils. not sure. good luck


Dieta answered on 5/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Aster

I doubt it unless you get the fat level so high it damages the pancreas. Foods that contain a large amount of whole grain corn are rich in Omega 6 linoleic acid. The excess is burned as energy.

I would be more concerned about the total calories and body condition. 95 pounds is large for a Golden. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com


Aster answered on 5/13/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer


Guest

My vet said yes. Please forgive my aging brain but I forget exactly why. He said dosing was very important so check with your vet. Dakoda is a cutie! Good Luck!


Member 788102 answered on 5/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer