Can I use human baby sunscreen on my pup?

The only white he has is on his head, nose, and ears so I don't think he would be able to lick it off and ingest any chemicals.

Asked by Member 642449 on Jun 10th 2008 Tagged sunscreen, sunblock, sunprotection in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

why would you want to put sunscreen on an animal?

answered on Jun 10th.

Answers

Is he a Chinese Crested? I have read where you should put sunscreen on them, but other than that I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more experience will answer!

Storm

It's really important to protect dogs from the sun, too. Their noses can burn easily, and dogs that have naturally thinner shorter coats are even more at risk than the fuzzier ones.

Baby sunscreen is actually *more* chemically concentrated than adult sunscreen, so it's not necessarily better. Unfortunately no sunscreen is all that great when it comes down to it, but the alternative is not being able to run around in the summer sunshine or suffering damaging effects from burning.

Storm gets regular plain old adult sunscreen put on her nose and belly (she likes to lay on her back in the yard and "sunbathe") at times when she's most at risk for burning, and I try to make sure she doesn't lick it off.

Storm answered on 6/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chip

On really hot days I put sunscreen on his nose, paw pads, and tummy where he has no hair. He hasn't got burnt but I dont want to take any chances. He hasn't got sick. I would try it but if he shows any signs of anything different ask the vet.

Chip answered on 6/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

All dogs can get sunburns and even skin cancer.

Dogs most susceptible to getting burned are ones with short or thin haircoats and light colored skin. They are most susceptible to getting burned on their nose, as well as the underside of their tummies and the inside of their legs, especially if you walk on asphalt. (Solid surfaces like asphalt reflect the sun!)

There are several companies that make sunscreen specifically for dogs, which is inexpensive and can easily be found at good pet stores or online.

Alternatively, veterinarians recommend that you use waterproof children's sunscreen. The reasoning behind this is that children's sunscreen usually does not have added fragrances, and that waterproof sunscreen is also lick-proof. (According to Dr. Peter J. Ihrke of the University of California's School for Veterinary Medicine.)

You can also use Vaseline. At the small ratios your dog would be able to ingest by licking, the worst that will happen is that it will give them the runs.

Bruce

hell no! never put that crap on a dog! you can get sun screen made just for dogs. www.nextag.com

Bruce answered on 6/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mugsy Kaboom

I asked this question but wasn't signed in.

He isn't a Chinese Crested.

I just noticed that after he was outside over the weekend that the top of his nose, head and his one white ear was a little pink.

I have Banana Boat Baby Waterproof Lotion SPF 50 right now that my son doesn't like to use. I thought I could at least use it rather than just throw it away. I figured once that's gone I would get some specifically for dogs.

We plan on taking him out on the boat swimming a lot so I want him protected as much as possible from the sun.
I appreciate everyone's help.

Mugsy Kaboom answered on 6/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer