Queen Guinevere

Can I train my one and a half year old chihuahua new tricks? I heard that it's almost impossible to train an old chihuah

I want to train my chihuahua obedience tricks, but she just won't pay attention! I'm afraid it's because she's already a year old.

Asked by Queen Guinevere on Oct 21st 2013 Tagged obediencetraining in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Shasta

She's in her prime! Training can be done at any age. Shasta is almost 6 and he is going through obedience class (partly to get socialized, partly to show off...). I'm still thinking up fun new tricks for him!

Training takes a lot of experience, patience, and effort on the owner's part. I know what it's like to train a stubborn dog, it's no fun... My best suggestion would be to either take time to do a lot of training-related research so you can learn the methods there are, or see if you can get her into a group class. You will get TONS of helpful advice that can last a lifetime.

Ask any trainer out there, he will answer you with this: You never stop training until the dog is no longer with you.
What that basically means is, even if the dog knows the commands, she still needs structure in her life (aka brush up on the tricks/commands daily).

Wherever you heard you can't teach an old dog new tricks...that's not true ;) even my lab learned a new one when she was about 10y.o. =D

Shasta answered on Oct 22nd.

Answers

Matrix

A year old is not old at all, and even old dogs can earn new tricks. Try re-evaluating your training methods. What are you using to motivate your dog? Try using really tasty treats such as small pieces of cheese, hot dogs or beef liver, or high quality commercial treats such as Pure Bites or Zukes.

A really great excersise to do with a dog that has trouble paying attention, is to teach your dog to pay attention. In a training session, stand silently, and when your dog looks at you, reward her with a treat. Repeat this, over and over again until your dog is never taking her eyes off of you.

The key here is really to be paitent and make yourself the most exciting and rewarding thing in the room. Your dog is not too old at all, and is infact really young, and is in one of the best age stages to be trained. Things your dog learns from 1 day to two years old will often stay with them for life, and this includes commands, if trained correctly. Use positive reinforcement! Good luck!

Matrix answered on 10/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I don't even start formal obedience training with my toy poodles until they are 15 to 18 months old and starting to show some maturity and willingness to pay attention.
AS the previous answer says, use plenty of to die for treats and only use those treats for training.
Also keep your training sessions short and sweet...if either you OR your dog are not in the mood for training you can do more damage than good so wait until you are in a better frame of mind.
Good luck!!

NA'vi

Speaking Spanish may be a plus.

NA'vi answered on 10/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer