Queen Guinevere

Can I train my one and a half year old chihuahua new tricks? I heard that it's almost impossible to train an old chihuah

I want to train my chihuahua obedience tricks, but she just won't pay attention! I'm afraid it's because she's already a year old.

Asked by Queen Guinevere on Oct 21st 2013 Tagged obediencetraining in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Shasta

(I already answered in your other one, but I've a few more notes)

It's great you want to do obedience training with her. So many people are convinced ALL little dogs are "ankle biters". It's not true, they get "snotty" because they have no structure in life. Imagine a 100lb Rottweiler being allowed to jump onto laps uninvited, pull on the leash like heck, bark at every little thing, jump up on visitors, growl/nip if he doesn't like you petting him... Simply not acceptable. Why do we let little dogs do it then? They don't know they're tiny, so why should we treat them that way?

Establish a good bond by super positive trick-training sessions with super nummy treats, and then exercise some discipline with her (no, don't spank her of course!). Allow her on your lap only when you invite her up, get her to walk nicely on the leash. Basically teach her that you're her leader. Once she sees that, she'll be glad that she doesn't have to worry about trying to be the leader.

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on Oct 23rd.

Answers

Start with a regular puppy training class and go from there. We don't know why you think she's too old, but she's not at all. Food is a great motivator and you can treat train the little queen when you find something that she really likes, like a teenie greenie. Only reward the positive behaviors. There's nothing worse than a teeny dog with no training that jumps all over people. You both can do it! ^_^

In general, dogs are trainable at any age. You can still train your dog provided you carry on the necessary steps and keep your patience. Never forget to be ready with treats to reward her whenever she heeds your commands. Give her a pat and praise her. Positive reinforcement works!