Can i take my alaskan malamute with me on my cross country fundraiser walk? 5-20miles per day

I am planning a fundraiser walk across the united states from delaware to san francisco. It is 2,900 miles across the center u.s. it will start march 1, and should arrive in san francisco after 6-7 months.

I will average 5-20 miles per day (10minute breaks every hour) and was wondering if a malamute has the stamina to do that trip. I know dogs can travel great distances daily. But was not sure the daily allowance.

I would have adequate food and water on my push cart.

Asked by Member 1152187 on Jan 27th 2013 in Exercise

Answers

First, I would keep in mind that a Malamute has a very thick coat that is built for Winter. Second, I would have your vet check him/her out to be sure he/she's healthy enough for a trip like that. The heat and/or humidity, out West and in the South, in the Summer months can be brutal on any dog much less one with a coat like a Malamute has. If you decide to go, please keep in mind your dog's limitations, when it comes to the heat. They certainly have the stamina as long as they're used to long hikes, it's just the heat I would worry about. They can die from heat exhaustion. I would also ask if there are any additional vaccinations you should consider for your dog before you go. Good Luck!