can i give my dog (german Shepherd) human glucosamine tablets from CVS? If so, what kind?

Asked by Member 931595 on Dec 19th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes, you can. You would also use the human dose... usually 1500 mg per day. I buy the ones called "osteo bi flex" with glucosamine and chondroiten and some other stuff. My vet said they were fine for the dogs.

Maya - In Loving Memory

Yes, you can. You cannot however, just automatically give your dog 1500 mg in a day! It NEEDS to be adjusted to your dogs weight.

Here is a chart I have bookmarked for myself:
GLUCOSAMINE:
Glucosamine (and glucosamine in combination with chondroitin sulfate) is used to treat joint pain associated with athritis. This is a long term treatment whose effects may not be immediately noticeable.
Glucosamine Dosage
total per day
Dogs Cats
weight amount
under 25 lbs 500 milligrams 500 milligrams
25-50 lbs 1000 milligrams
over 50 lbs 1500 milligrams

at www.walkervalleyvet.com

I started my adult female Rottweiler, Maya off on two tablets a day, taken at separate times in the day. I moved her up to four and she did fine.

Maya - In Loving Memory answered on 12/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

I did this years ago, but i cut them in half for my dog to take. I hope this works for your dog, it really helped mine.

Seth answered on 12/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer