Licorice

Can I give my dog cooked or raw beef bones?

People say that you should give only raw pork bones, not cooked. I'm not sure about beef.

Asked by Licorice on Jan 30th 2010 in Raw Food

Answers

Cooked bones of any sort should be avoided. If you feed a bone, it should be raw and covered with plenty of meat and/or skin.
Weight-bearing bones from large animals, including beef, should be avoided. Most beef bones are too hard for dogs to eat without risk of chipping a tooth. Some dogs can handle beef ribs, but I wouldn't try it until you know what sort of chewer your dog is and have some idea of what she can and cannot handle.
Most bones you feed should be edible bones--in other words, your dog can chew them up and swallow them. Recreational (inedible) bones can be fine, depending upon the individual dog and provided that once the meat and skin is gone you take it away from the dog.
Note that not all pork bones are edible.

Here's a page that debunks several myths about feeding raw foods:
rawfed.com

CHAZ

Your safest bet is NO bones. Especially steak, chicken and pork...they splinter. Google your question and you'll get tons of info. I just avoid bones all together. Good Luck.

CHAZ answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Farley

Chaz- COOKED bones splinter. Not raw bones.
NEVER feed cooked bones of ANY kind. Raw beef bones are usually avoided because they are very hard and dense and can crack a dog's teeth. If you give one, make sure you take it away once the dog strips it of meat/marrow,

Farley answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Hector

Pork bones are softer than beef bones. All bones will splinter if cooked, and soft ones will splinter even raw.

My dogs love to get an occasional bone. I prefer hard beef bones. They are all of large breeds and tend to tolorate them well. I just make sure to watch them, and pick them up when they walk away from them.

My little one peeled a golf ball once in a matter of minutes, so a bone of any hardness would be no match for her. Therefore, I watch her more closely, and trade her for something more appealing when she actually breaks the bone.

Just watch closely, and be leary of pork altogether. That seems to be the only thing my oldest dog doesn't tolorate. He got into some sausage biscuits one time as a puppy, made him very sick for 2 days.

Hector answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dogs really don't need bones at all. Even if they don't splinter or cause choking and blockages, they wear the teeth. Aster never had a real bone in her life. When we put her to sleep at 15, her front teeth still had the 3 separate points on each tooth that younger dogs have.

Raw bones may not be as bad as cooked ones, but your dog will be better off without any.

any uncooked meaty bones are ok in reasonable amounts.
No weight bearing bones are good raw either like the big femor bones from cattle they can damage their teeth.
Oxtails are ok for beef or flat rib bone I would monitor the rib bones those can be semi sharp and pointed.

Chocolate

Raw bones of any kind(except knuckle bones) are fine. I give pork necks and raw beef necks once a week.

Chocolate answered on 1/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Maverick

No cooked bones.

Maverick answered on 2/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Mystique 'Tiki'

As long as the bone is raw and not a weight baring bone, you're fine, although you want to try to avoid bones that are small (like chicken wings) if you have a bigger dog. Our dog is fed on a raw diet, and 10% of the diet is raw bone ;)

Mystique 'Tiki' answered on 6/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Vito Luigi

Cooked bones I wouldn't give but raw bones are awesome for a dogs teeth, even beef bones are okay because anything can chip a dogs teeth.

Vito Luigi answered on 9/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

actually raw bones are the only bones that should be given to your dog, they are great for cleaning thier teeth. i buy mine at the grocery store, ask the meat department where the dog bones are....your dog will love you.

Holly - CGC TDI

Avoid the cooked bones of any kind, they tend to splinter and can hurt your dog.

Raw bones on the other hand are great, they don't splinter and give your dog a workout. However, if your dog is a heavy chewer you want to avoid the weight bearing bones, marrow bones, soup bones etc. of large animals, especially beef. They are called 'wreck bones' because a heavy chewer can fracture their teeth on them. I found this out the hard way.

Good, edible bones are ribs, chicken feet, pork feet, heads, and neck bones. There are a few threads in the raw feeding forums that you can check out that talk about other edible bones.

Holly - CGC TDI answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

molson

I eat both cooked and raw beef bones with no trouble.Raw is the preferred state of bones as it better emulates feeding rituals of the wolf.

molson answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Carly

I don't give my dogs bones,but i have read that if you are going to give your dogs bones,they should be raw

Carly answered on 3/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well first off it depends on the diet you have your dog on,for instance my dog is a raw diet which means that bone gives here the calcium that her body requires and the bones really help her teeth and gums. Now the question is cooked or uncooked,thats easy that raw is the way to go. The reason being that dogs are carnivores(some might say omnivores)by nature. A cooked bone can splinter very easily which can cause mouth bleeding and even worse internal problems in the digestive tract. I give her a bone twice a week,raw and covered in meat and preferably beef. To those out there saying your dog doesnt need bone theyre probably still feeding kibble or canned food and might not understand the correct diet a dog requires. Keep in mind that bone becomes part of your dogs diet and a dogs diet is the center of their overall health.