Can I give my 4 mo old Bichon, brewers yeast or garlic supplement for fleas control?

I have a 4 mo old Bichon, who we cannot keep the fleas away from. I have had my house and yard professionally treated twice. We have tried Advantix Multi, and Frontline, but nothing works. Well these worked for about 2 weeks. When I spoke to the vet about it she said well you have to treat the environment. I did that, but I can't treat every where he goes.
She also said that they had to bite him for it to work, well it stands to reason if they are on him they are biting him, and after about two weeks, it did not work any longer. He has an appt, next week for next shots, and they are supposed to give me something different in pill form not sure what. Before I keep shelling out over $20 per dose for things that don't work I wondered about trying something natural. The supplements I saw were brewers yeast and garlic is it dangerous?

Asked by Member 984601 on Apr 30th 2010 in Flea & Tick Prevention

Answers

Hector

Talk to your vet about it. Some say yes, some say no. Just be sure your specific breed won't have a bad reaction to it.

I have used both ingrediants for over 6 years. Hector is now 9 and does very well on it.

I give very small doses 2 times a week during the spring/summer, cut back in fall and stop using it in the winter. I do it for mosquitos and ticks, because it keeps them from biting, which will help prevent heartworms. I still use the meds, but use the garlic/brewers yeast for added protection. I am in a wooded area, where alot of ticks/mosquitos breed. I can't vouch for fleas, as I have never been bothered with them.

I switch off between advantix/frontline because the pests build up resistants to these meds.

Many will tell you not to give garlic, but I have never had any trouble with it at all. Infact, I think adding this to their home prepared diet has helped Hectors dysplasia, as he has not been bothered with it for years now.

Works for us, might help you?

Hector answered on 5/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have no confidence in garlic or yeast. It may be you need a more active remedy such as Revolution.

Petri

Here are a few suggestions:
Brush him with a flea comb dipped in soapy water every day to help keep them away (re-dip the comb after every stroke). You can certainly mix a little brewers yeast and garlic into his food everyday. Sprinkle Diatoms (found in pet stores) on carpeting, upholstery, beds, etc. Diatoms are microscopic algae that absorb a flea's waxy coating to they dry up and die. It is a safe alternative to insecticides. You can also sweep it into crevices and cracks, baseboards, etc. Wear a dust mask since you will be spreading dust around! They can only be used indoors though.... they become inactivated by water. You can also plug in a night light or put a pan/bucket of water underneath a light outside. They are attracted to warmth and some will leap into the water and drown. For the yard you can also use Nematodes (microscopic worms) that eat flea larvae before they hatch. These are available at pet and garden stores.

Petri answered on 5/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer