Can I give my 25lb. boston terrier benedryl for hives and how much?

Asked by Member 528634 on Nov 9th 2007 Tagged hives, benedryl, itching in Medications

Answers

Benedryl is one of those medications that is used in both pets and humans to control allergies and their symptoms. As such, yes, you can use Benedryl.

HOWEVER.

Before you use ANY medication, even over-the-counter medication like Benedryl, you need to first consult with your veterinarian. Phone him or her and ask how much Benedryl you should give.

Jelly

Yes you can use benedryl. It is used lots with pups with allergies. My vet put me on benedryl when I was having a reaction to my nasal kennel cough. You should call your vet before you give the benedryl. Your vet will tell you if it is save for your situation and also the dosage that you should use. It sure helped me!

Jelly answered on 11/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please do consult with your vet.

If you haven't already contacted the vet about the hives, it is very important to do so.

Dogs will allergic reactions like hives are in serious danger of shock or breathing difficulty.

You must determine what is causing the hives, and only the vet can help with that.

If the vet says it is okay to give the dog medication, you can do so.

I wouldn't medicate a dog-even with a med that he's had before-without first checking with my vet.