Dynamite

Can I give my 15 yr old lab mix aspirin for hip pain?

I just read where glucosamine has no effect on humans...have had her on it for about 2 months, but it seems like this winter has been really hard on her.
She still runs and goes to the park and beach, but she drags a rear leg a bit sometimes.
I wonder if she has pain!!?! How would I know?

Asked by Dynamite on Feb 19th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

When I had my first German Shepherd the vet said to give her Ascriptin. It is a coated aspirin, regular aspirin can cause upset tummies! But it worked great, I bought it at Wal-Mart.If your lab mix is anything like my Shep. it will be bad when it gets hot too. I just kept a bottle on hand...1 tablet every 12 hours, my shep. weighed 75 lbs.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

As I just found out from one of my questions, dogs have different tolerance of pain. They end to tolerate more pain and are good at hiding it. More than likely, she is in pain, and just not showing it. I also had a qauestion about giving my dog Motrin for pain. Many dogsters said that it is not good for dogs and to try a vet first. I agree.Consult with your vet before giving a dog any pain medications.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a dalmatian whose hips were going and the vet told me I could give her an aspirin for the pain a day but NEVER ADVIL. She had one ever day with her breakfast for a year and we had no problems. I'm not sure if its 'right' or not, but she was 45 lbs and 11 when we started giving them to her.

Miss Buddie

Aspirin is okay for dogs, but check with your vet as to dosages. There might also be a Rx that would be more effective for her.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tom

I think she's showing you that she's in pain.

As to what to give her, I really don't recommend anyone giving their dog aspirin without the vet's ok. Glucosamine chondroitin with MSM is going to help, but according to my vet, it takes about 6 weeks before it starts working. Also, your girl should really see her vet to be x-rays. Perhaps she's at the point where she needs prescription meds to stay pain free.

At the very least, your vet can tell you what dosage of glucosamine she should be at. For example, one of my greys was having a lot of problems last summer - she started on 1500 mg daily, gradually going down to her maintenance dose of 500 mg. The glucosamine chondroitin alone (combined with her acupuncture and chiro treatments)just wasn't working, so the vet recommended she also go on Devil's Claw and that did the trick! She was on 400 mg daily and I saw a huge improvement within 1 week.

I really believe that our older dogs deserve the best, so a quick trip to vet.

Tom answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

as long as your dog is healthy other wise Buffered Asprin should be ok. This winter has been tough on my boy Haus too. Giving a dog regular asprin can cause stomach problems. Call your Vet and ask for a proper dose for the size of your dog. Try to give sparingly.If the buffered asprin doesn't work thenthere ae other safe things out there.Good Luck! Great job on the 15 years.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

My son swears by glucosamine for his 11 year old Golden. Has also had aspirin prescribed a vet. I personally think coated aspirin has fewer side effects than a lot of the prescription meds for orthopedic problems.

Lily answered on 2/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer