Can i buy a chihuahua puppy at 6 weeks if he is already weaned and very healthy?

He is fully socialized

Asked by Member 1117705 on Jun 26th 2012 in Health & Safety

Answers

CGC,RTD,AKC Brake's LoneRanger

Six weeks is too young to separate the puppy from his mom & litter. The first few weeks of life are critical for pups to learn appropriate interaction & socialization skills that are developed being around the mother and litter mates.No reputable breeder will sell a puppy that young.

If you are purchasing this puppy from a breeder, I would urge you to research and consider using a different, reputable breeder! (It sounds like this puppy may be coming from a Back Yard Breeder, not a reputable breeder). Please research "Back Yard Breeders" so you know the difference between a poor breeder, and a reputable one that is trying to further the breed's quality,temperament, and genetics.A good breeder will not sell before 8-12 weeks. They will screen potential owners carefully and socialize their litters well.They vaccinate, health test, register, and so on. (Ours checks vet, training, and personal references.)

"The Art of Raising a Puppy"- The Monks of New Skete, is an great book to read!

CGC,RTD,AKC Brake's LoneRanger answered on 6/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

While it can be done, it is much better to wait until 8 weeks. Many states have laws in place regarding it. Your pup is not socialized. That is your job. 100 places, 100 people, 100 dogs is a good starting point. An excellent book is "Before & After Getting a Puppy" by Ian Dunbar. The Monks write about what they raise....gsds. They are heavy on dominance theory. Not what you need with a chi.

Sara

You can but it's better to wait till they are 8 weeks old. It gives them time to learn puppy manners from their mom and siblings.

I have gotten one in the past that was 5 weeks old. The breeder said the mother abandoned them and she didn't have time to feed them. This dog was harder to train and has personality problems compared to my other chihuahua that I got a 8 weeks old. She was easy to house break, didn't have biting problems, and is a better calmer dog all around although I love them both dearly.

Sara answered on 6/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

The best time to get a puppy home is when it is 8-12 weeks old. By this time the pup becomes active and little more easy to handle. I would suggest that you wait for 2 more months.