sugar

can i bathe my dog while she's still nursing

her pups are 4weeks i want to know can i bathe her with flea and tick dip

Asked by sugar on Apr 29th 2010 in Grooming

Answers

Vivace

From what I have been told is that you cannot use any flea or tick products on a nursing mother. If she has fleas I would speak to your vet to see what is safe to use at this time.

Vivace answered on 4/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If she is bathed with a flea and tick dip and the pups are still nursing they will ingest it from her skin and most likely get terribly sick, if not actually end up dying from it. We used to comb off the fleas with a flea comb on nursing dogs who came into the shelter when I worked there. we would drop them into rubbing alcohol.
I woud check with your vet and see if there is anything safe for those babies... I do know that a heavy infestation of fleas on the babies will cause them to become anemic and can also be fatal to them, so something needs to be done.

Gidget

No, you can bathe her, but don't use any chemicals while nursing. A water bath will help with itching, and get off some of the fleas. When she is dry you can help get the rest of them off of her with a special flea comb. Be sure to check babies too, as if mom has fleas, babies will too.

Clean bedding regularly to help control fleas until she is finished nursing and you can then return to her regular flea treatment.
It will be difficult for a few more weeks, but if you try to manually control them, it may keep you from having a major infestation by the time she is finished nursing.

Good luck

Gidget answered on 4/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Just use water and mild soap for her bottom. That's it.
The puppies use her scent to find the tets.
And also you wouldn't want the pups to be around any irritants like soap or pesticides.
You should not use flea and tick dips on a nursing mother.
Get together with your vet on what you can use.

no i would not advise it because the new smell might scare the puppys in to not drinking