Zeus

can hydrogen peroxide harm a dogs skin? i put it on my dog full strength after getting skunked.

he broke out with pimples-bumps.

Asked by Zeus on Dec 10th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I'm not sure what large amounts will do, but I use a little of it to clean my dog's cuts when they get them. Never had a problem.

I would assume your dog would be fine. I have heard, never had to try it thankfully, but many people have used peroxide and baking soda mix to rid their dog of skunk. I think the rule of thumb would be not to put it on face, or genitals. Rinse them well and he should be good to go. Maybe his skin was just a little irratated from all the scrubbing I can imagine you did. You poor thing, for both pet and people, I couldn't imagine. I would keep my eye on it and if it doesn't clear up shortly a vet visit might be in order. You might want to keep a bottle of de-skunker on hand, purchased from your vets or pet store, just so you don't need to use the peroxide again. For future reference I also heard putting a bowl of vinegar in the room or garage where he sleeps should remove any remaining skunk smell that is lingering in the air. Hopefully, you never have to deal with this again, but if you do let me know if the vinegar works. Have a good one.

Anngee

I don't know about hydrogen peroxide but this summer my JRT got skunked and I bathed her with neutralizing shampoo for human hair which is used after putting in a hair relaxer to neutralize the chemical process. It worked like a charm.

Anngee answered on 12/12/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Paris

I got little white pimple-like bumps when mom put peroxide on my cut, and she recently learned that the same thing happens to her if peroxide touches her skin! It is gone w/out any problems in about 3 days (for both of us), so mom assumes its an allergic reaction. I have heard that peroxide is not a good choice for use on wounds/cuts, etc, but no warnings about causing any harm. I have to wonder if this reaction is more common than people realize?

Paris answered on 2/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer