Miley

Can having dog spayed result in her getting a urinary trac infection (UTI)?

She displayed signs of UTI, when we brought her home. I called they advised to give 1/2 adult asprin and plenty of water. The weekend came, they were closed. On Monday, she wasn't any better and had passed a little blood in urine. Took her in .. she has a UTI. We thought visit would be follow up, but we had to pay another $78.00 (surgery cost was $205.00) . We are wondering if it was possible for her to have gotten the infection as result of her surgery? She spent the night at the Vet's, after surgery. She is now on meds. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Asked by Miley on Feb 10th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

My educated guess:
A UTI is possible after a spay. Probably due to some bacteria having entered during surgery. I wouldn't say that this means that the vet is bad, just happens sometimes.

Remember, that's a guess.

Zackintosh CJ

Yes its possible, like Cookie said.
Spayed female dogs are the most likely to develop UTI, it can occur in any dog, spayed or not, but its most likely in spayed dogs.
Hope she's feeling better soon!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Daisy

I am having the same problem. My girl also came home after her spay surgery with signs of UTI. I was wondering, how is your girl, did the vet concede that the UTI could be a result of surgery & what was her treatment?

Daisy answered on 3/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer