Can GSD litter pups have white toes or partial paw and still be purebread? There only 5 days old. Otherwise there black.

The parents are my dogs. The mom was akc litter registered upon sale and my male although only ukc registered is a obvious shepherd according to all the standards Ive read about. A couple pups have some pure white toes with one pure white partial foot in the front toe area. Im not a breeder and confused about the white on the paws? Did I get scammed by the seller of the male or female dog.

Asked by Member 795688 on Jan 22nd 2009 Tagged arewhitetoednewbornshepherdpupspurebred in German Shepherd

Answers

I think it is possible, but I don't know for certain.

Just out of curiosity, if you are not a breeder, how did this littler come around? Accidental breeding? Understandable.
Purposeful breeding? Technically, if you bred your dogs on purpose, then you are a breeder.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

Zackintosh CJ

AKC standard on GSD:
Color
The German Shepherd Dog varies in color, and most colors are permissible. Strong rich colors are preferred. Pale, washed-out colors and blues or livers are serious faults. A white dog must be disqualified.

UKC standard on GSD:
Color

The German Shepherd Dog comes in many colors and white. In evaluating colored dogs, strong, deep colors are preferred. Nose, lips, and eyerims must have dark pigment, regardless of coat color. Color faults are minor in comparison to defects of type and structure.

Serious faults: Pale, washed-out colors; blue; liver.

Disqualification: Albinism.

I think they can have white markings, its just undesirable in a show dog.
Like a blue eyed Malamute or a piebald Dachshund, it happens in a purebred but its a disqualification in a conformation show.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Winnie Mae

Please don't breed your dogs. Accidental is understandable, get the female spayed ASAP and the male neutered ASAP. Unless you are willing to get genetic health tests done, show them so you know they are well up to the conformations standards and spending way more money than you get on them. I would reccomend fixing them. Research needs to be done if you are going to breed. Many health problems show up genetically, and just because neither of the parents ARE sick doesn't mean the pups won't be.

Winnie Mae answered on 1/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sage

I have a purebred and she had a couple of white toes on one paw as a pup. As she grew up, the white fur disappeared and by the time she was 6 months old there was no more white paw. The breeder did consider it a flaw, though. She said she could not be a show dog with a white paw. So it doesn't change that they are pure German shepherds-- just can't be showdogs. Who cares though? Best dogs ever.

Sage answered on 3/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella Mae

From what I understand, it's common in some GSD's to have white toes as pups. It's something that fades as they grow. It's only a problem is they carry it on into adulthood, and thats only if you want to show them or anything. We, years ago, bought a purebred GERMAN lined German Shepherd, of perfect ancestry and he had white tipped toes for a few months, but they faded. Don't worry, it's common in some lines. It is possible for them to be purebred and have the white toes for a bit.

Bella Mae answered on 3/21/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer