Zuma

Can Give My Dog Raw Eggs?

Can Give My Dog Raw Eggs? Well Yo! I Was wondering if its all right to give Zuma a raw egg, He was on nutro ( now i know its a bad food ).

Nows he' on "Solid Gold" working great, he loves it, So yeah some times i give him a raw egg some times 2, He loves it! And as far as i can tell its fine. im just wondering if its bad, Is it?! Thanks up front! :D

Asked by Zuma on Jun 25th 2009 in Raw Food

Best Answer

I also think you should cook them enough to kill salmonella.

No matter how hearty and acidic a dog's digestive system is, he can still become very ill or even die from a case of salmonella or e-coli. Most eggs are okay, but it just takes one bag egg (padon the pun) to hurt Zuma. Why take that chance?

Dogs have been domesticated to the point that a lof them can't handle raw food or the bacteria that is in them. Many do fine, or even thrive on raw food. But quite a lot of dogs can't handle it. Just err on the side of caution.

Glad to hear he's on a food he loves, though. I give Jack small pieces of hard boiled egg white as a treat and he LOVES it. I bet Zuma would love it just as much cooked. :-)

Jack answered on Jun 25th.

Answers

Raw eggs are fine. Dog's digestive systems are designed to handle raw foods.

I would say cook it some.
I do let them have hard boiled eggs.
And I have fried them, microwaved them.
They love them, but I would say cooking them would prevent any ecoli or bacteria infection of some kind.
One egg for a dog that size would be ok. per day. But, just don't over due the every day also.
Alot of one thing is not always the best thing.

There is no problem with feeding a dog raw eggs. It is true they are susceptible to salmonella and e'coli, which is why some people cook them. Make sure you feed the whole egg. Egg whites contain avidin which destroys the nutrient biotin in a dog's system. However, the yolk contains enough biotin to replace what the egg whites destroy, so it is critical to feed the whole egg.

My dog trainer gave me a wonderful website by a dog nutritionist that you might find useful. It covers everything from commercial diets to raw diets. www.dogaware.com.

Yes, your Zuma can have 4-5 Raw eggs per week.
Glad to see you are feeding Solid Gold dog food ! Good for you!

Need more help with feeding and supplements - visit Miss Priss and Pet Nurse Marie here:
www.apluspetcare.com