Can fleas make a dogs butt bleed?

I have a 5 year old American Pit Bull Terrier. Recently I noticed she has fleas and started treating them. But other sense I noticed the fleas, she also bleeds after she goes poop. It seems to correlate with her having fleas, but the fleas are starting to go away and the bleeding is not.

Im starting to really worry, but I wanted to see if this is a common thing with fleas or not. Thank you for your help!

Asked by Member 761167 on Oct 30th 2008 Tagged bleedingbutt in Health & Wellness

Answers

No, fleas do not cause blood in the feces...However whip or hook worm can & you should see a vet!

Sadie

My daughter just went through this and what happened is she saw blood and even worms coming out of his rectum and took him right away to the vet and the vet said that he had bitten the fleas and swallowed them and the fleas laid eggs inside and they hatched and were coming out with blood, so she had to get the dog treated for the fleas and the worms. Sorry this description was so gross. I think you should get him to a Vet. It became very serious rather quickly!

Sadie answered on 10/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer