Zackintosh CJ

Can dogs get the flu?

Just wondering, I have the flu and wanted to know if people can give it to their dogs?
Zack seems to be not quite "normal" but it may just be that I'm not taking him for walks right now! :)
Thanks!
P.S I know about dog flu, but I didn't know if it was the same thing/could be transmitted from humans-to-dogs.

Asked by Zackintosh CJ on Feb 19th 2009 Tagged flu, dogs, normal, sick, ill in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Dogs cannot get colds or the flu from humans, no.

I am sure that he is just acting strange because of what you mentioned - he isn't getting his normal exercise, and he is probably also reacting to the fact that you don't feel well either.

Hope you feel better soon!

Sergeant answered on Feb 19th.

Answers

Okay I'm not making this up... EVERY time I get sick, Bam's gets similiar symptoms. If I throw up, within 2 days, he throws up. If I have diarrhea, within 2 days he has it horribly. If I have a cold, he coughs and sneezes. I know he's not getting these things from me, so I'm pretty sure that he's just reacting to what he sees in me. He's also a little dramatic, lol

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I know a couple of years ago there was a dog flu going around and was concerning.
They said humans could not get this.
Also this year my dog caught a viral infection and it was like severe influenza flu she was very sick. It started out vomiting, fever, chills and severe dirrehea. But with antibotics she made a full recovery

Jasper

I remember when I was in grade 1 and I got the chicken pox that I wouldn't go anywhere near our pup because I was scared he would get them too!
Thats when my mom told me that thank heavens dogs cannot catch our viruses for the most part because different viral and bacterial stuff like that effects animals and humans differently :)

Jasper answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer