Dallas CGC

Can dogs get sick with Salmonella poisioning? How can they eat raw chicken, if this is possible??

Asked by Dallas CGC on Jan 16th 2011 Tagged raw, food, salmonella, chicken in Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Jet, check out the Raw forum... almost all dogs on any raw fed diet eat lots of raw chicken. And, that raw chicken includes bones since they are what make a raw diet work. Bones are necessary to keep the stool firm and to provide calcium. COOKED chicken bones, and other types of COOKED bones, however, are quite dangerous since cooked bones splinter and can puncture the digestive system.
Salmonella is normally only an issue with immune compromised dogs. The normal dog's digestive system is extremely well developed and deals with bacteria such as this with very little issues.
If salmonella was such an issue with animals eating raw chicken almost all the foxes, raccoons and wolves would be suffering constantly from it since many of them dine regularly on fresh chicken and other birds and they don't usually cook it before they eat it.

answered on Jan 17th.

Answers

❤  Sadie ❤

Im no expert on this at all but i suggest you check out the Raw Forum here

❤ Sadie ❤ answered on 1/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

They *can* if it's in large amounts or they are immuno compromised, but not nearly as easily as humans do. A dog's digestive tract is designed to handle most bacteria.
One of my dogs eats raw meat, bones, and organ as part of his main diet (raw diet), and the other is fed partially raw. We've been doing this for about 2 1/2 years now.

Also, some vets recommend washing your hands after handling kibble because it can harbor salmonella as well. Some brands of commercial dog food have been recalled over having too much salmonella. So no matter what you feed it's impossible to completely escape the possibility of your dog ingesting salmonella.

yes they can.
and yet I feed raw also. I feed raw chicken to two of the dogs.
Yet, once a long time ago I bought a chew item for a dog and they got salmonella. They were very sick for 2 wks.
I don't know if enhanced meat has a thing to do with it but it might. I don't know maybe it lowers it? haven't done that much research.
I think burkett has something there about the immune system.
Salmonella is everywhere though, on our veggies in the store and on surfaces.
And yes, dogfoods contain salmonella.
I think the raw forum might give even more possiblities to why raw dogs don't get sick.
I think it might even be possible dogs once they eat raw for a few weeks build up enzymes and immunity to the bacteria and the body processes it more efficently killing off the bacteria as it passes through the body. I'm not good at explaining scientific mojo.

Jet

Yes, dogs can get sick with Salmonella poisoning. I don't think that they can eat raw chicken. Cook it (definetly not fried), and do not give your dog any bones, because it can choke them because of the small pieces that can come off and into their throat.

Consult a vet for absolute positive information.

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 1/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have given my dogs raw chicken before. And they are fine with it. As a matter of fact I was told to give a diet of raw chicken to a dog that was sick once and I used it to help him get better