can dogs eat bananas

Asked by Member 977728 on Apr 16th 2010 in Treats

Answers

Hector

I have read many places that bananas aren't harmful to dogs unless give large amounts. I have also read that they are toxic.

So it would be best to ask your vet about this one. My dogs don't like them, so I haven't had the need to inquire further about the safety of them.

The same sites where I have read that they are safe, also say garlic is deadly to animals. My dogs have been on small amounts of garlic for many years. It keeps mosquitos from biting, which leads to heartworms.

I have asked my vet about it, and he agrees that with me living in a wooded tick/mosquito infested area, that the garlic was a good addition to their preventative meds.

So you have to take alot of what you read with a grain of salt, but always consult with the vet when in doubt. He would probably answer this one over the phone for you.

Good luck

Hector answered on 4/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

While there isn't much evidence of harm, there is even less of them being any good for them. Your dog is better off getting most of its calories from a dog food. There are many people that want to extend far out ideas about human nutrition to dogs. The truth is most dogs will do quite well on any of the common brands of dog food and the less else, the better.

Bananas are 100% safe for dogs. I give my dog's bananas all the time. I make banana dog treats, too. It will not do any harm to your dog.

I don't know about bananas, but I have seen my dogs have benefit from adding things to their kibble (like meaty table scraps), so I seriously doubt that feeding only kibble is the way to go. What do I know? That's a good question. After all, I *am* just your average passionate dog owner/lover who has a few years of experience (with two dogs) and study behind me. I'd like to say that I have a good dose of common sense, too, but that'd sound conceited, LOL. Plus I still have a lot to learn. (Don't we all?)

I say you don't have to be a scientist with uber credits to be correct...in fact, there are many things I could disagree with many scientists on for good reasons...heck, they disagree among themselves. Point being, take everything with a grin of salt, even if it comes from the world's most illustrious scientist. It's the evidence that should determine what you see as truth, not what some "expert" says. That's how the experts became experts--by examining the facts and often coming to their own conclusions.

Jax likes a piece of banana once in a while. She weighs 98 pounds. I don't know what it would do to a little dog.

Maverick

My vet said not to give very many. Mom gives us dried banana chips every now and again and we love them! We really like fresh strawberries too!

Maverick answered on 4/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

in excessive amounts it could give them the poops bad.
My dog loves nanas

Yes, I agree. A little but of banana won't hurt, but too much will cause their poo to be abnormal. Make sure you feed it in small pieces.

A slice as an occasional treat is fine. But in smaller quantities, they can actually have the opposite effect of diarrhea, they can actually stop a dog right up.

So you have to be careful. There's also quite a bit of potassium in bananas, so again, best to stick to a small amount as too much can cause heart issues.

I'd not feed banana chips because most are made with sulfites and they can be bad for dogs.

As for "far out" ideas about nutrition...well, what's far out about knowing the science behind what makes up the food we eat and what it contains? What's far out about knowing how the vitamin and mineral content are absorbed and the ingredients tolerated by the human body? What's far out about knowing how these same properties are metabolized by dogs? To me, this is just common sense.

I'd much rather be called far out than be feeding my dogs something that is harmful because I blindly follow what someone else says to do.

Well, some may consider this FAR OUT, but I know many, many vets who prescribe banana in small amounts for dogs with colitis and other bowel issues. The banana contains enzymes which will soothe an irritated colon and slow spasms of the colon. In addition, they contain enough sugars to perk up a dog who needs a boost due to digestive issues. However, they must be given in small amounts... too much banana can really stop up the colon, and... Jack is right about the potassium levels from eating too much banana. However... that is also true for humans eating bananas... too much is not a good idea for all the same reasons.
Every time I eat a banana, my dogs line up waiting for their piece of it.

Haleigh, somewhere out there

Haleigh would live off bananas if we allowed it!

ps: Jack's Mom/Dad - All of your posts are so nicely written and educational.

Haleigh, somewhere out there answered on 4/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Loki

Most dog don't seem to like them, but my dog Charlie loved them! I gave him about a half of a banana once a week for the rest of his life with no ill effects. He lived to be 15 years of age. He was half Siberian Husky and half German Shepard. I considered the banana to be a treat only!

Loki answered on 6/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Binx, CGC, Service Dog

My Binx loves bananas once in awhile. My best advice is to talk to your vet and see what they have to say about them for your dog. If you have a vet you have been going to for a long time they will know your pooch so well that they will be able to tell you if it is good and safe for them. :)

Binx, CGC, Service Dog answered on 7/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ty

I had a dog that loved bananas, as long as they were not to ripe, if they were he would spit them back out at me.

Ty answered on 8/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Otis King Of Oz

My dogs love Bananas! If we can not feed them as fast as the dogs want us to they start barking at us. I really do not believe that they are harmful at all to the dogs. We have been feeding them bananas for years. Our one dog eats a whole banana him self. We try to feed them a banana at least 3-4 times a week.

Otis King Of Oz answered on 8/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Merlin

Mommy's old dog LOVED bananas. If you ate a banana and didn't give him the stem end he would pout. Bananas are perfectly fine for dogs, but moderation in all dietary choices is the key.

Merlin answered on 12/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs can most certainly eat banana's. I would not suggest in large quantities, but a little known fact is that if your dog is experiencing runny poo that banana's can counteract it. I use it with my teacup poodle when she has the trots and it works every time. Caution if you have a dog that normally gets constipated.

Zib

Zib loves them. About once a month she and I split a banana and it has never affected her negatively. She likes them best cut into half inch slices.

Zib answered on 1/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jackson

Dog's certainly can eat bananas, Jack likes nothing better more. Have no idea if they are good for dogs, but there has never been any ill effects.

Jackson answered on 2/21/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Although mentioned only briefly, this article from Drs Foster & Smith says that bananas are indigestible by dogs. I would infer that they could not get any benefits from a food they can't digest. (www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1659&aid=655)

yes, like anything else don't give too much or there may be some tummy issues. tigger steals them off the counter if i don't put them back far enough. lol.

i mash some in with peanut butter and freeze it in the kong in the summer.

My small Siberian Husky puppy jumped up and grabbed an entire banana bunch and ate them all while I was not looking. He was very small at the time, maybe 20 pounds...but he was totally fine with absolutely no problems.

Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild*

I have two dogs in my house who go well, Bananas for bananas! The other, hates them, she might take a piece if you give it to her, wont eat it though. I have only had one episode of bananas making my dogs sick, they were awfully green bananas, how my father likes them, so I avoid feeding them to my dogs if they are still green. As for actually giving it to them, I only give tidbits as treats, to which IMO are far healthier an option to most of the "packaged dog treats" on the market.

Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild* answered on 12/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bodie

Never had an issue giving our dog banana. He gets only small amounts of bananas once in a while. He's too small to eat a whole one or even a half, but a tiny tidbit is fine. He also eats plain steamed green beans, carrots (raw or cooked), plain peanut butter (Trader Joe's sells a jar that has only peanuts-no other added ingredients-great for dogs!), & pureed pumpkin with ginger (when his tummy is upset). I also make him doggie cookies with peanut butter, banana, & pumpkin.

Those are all in addition to his normal doggie diet of kibble.

Bodie answered on 12/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Queenie

We love bananas-I would guess like everything, just feed in moderation as they are a source of potassium.

Queenie answered on 12/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tipper

My vet says it is okay in moderation.

Tipper answered on 12/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

lily

banana's are a great natural source of potassium my greyhounds have one chopped up in their dinner's 3 times a week they love em ....and race on banana's :-) better than adding potassium tablet's .they also get other veggies and parsley !!!

lily answered on 12/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yoda

My male JRT loves bananas, but only if they are't too ripe. It hasn't seemed to hurt him in any way. My female isn't too crazy about them.

Yoda answered on 12/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I get banana pieces from my mom all the time. I'm very healthy so banans don't make us sick.

My golden loved bananas and all fruit :)
Whenever I had to give her a pill I would sneak it into the banana slice and she never noticed.