♥ Babe ♥

Can dogs Cry???

i know that dogs DO have emotions but, can they cry? sounds like a really weird and obvious question but it makes me think. for instance just a little bit earlier my foster dog got adopted, chewy got adopted, right before he left molly sniffed him, then jumped in the chair. like 20 minutes we
looked at her she had several drips of "tears"
streaming down. we wiped her eyes then nothing else has happened. she is normal again. she has never had any watery eyes or water streaming down. she didn't even get a drink of water that may have splashed up near her eyes.
they seriously looked like REAL tears. maybe it was just a coincidance (sp) that she had watery eyes at the time? idk! what do you think?

thanks!

Asked by ♥ Babe ♥ on Jan 14th 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Farley

Dogs' tear ducts drain out to their nose. Not through their eyes. If you've ever wondered why dogs have wet noses, that's why! Yes, dogs have feelings and emotions, some not as complex as human emotions. Dogs feel pain like any other animal, and I do believe they have certain feelings, but no, physiologically, they cannot cry.

Farley answered on 1/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Farley.

I did know a dog whose eyes watered when he got excited, but this was more of a physiological quirk than anything else.

Though dogs have emotions and get happy or sad enough TO cry, it doesn't manifest in tears the way it does with us.

I remember when Jack had some surgery when he was about a year old, we picked him up and his eyes were watering quite a bit. They had never done that before and he was SO happy and relieved to see us.

While I know he wasn't crying and that the "tears" were an after-effect of his sedation, you can bet seeing him like that made ME cry! :-)

If dogs could cry, I would've seen it by now. Deogie is the biggest baby EVER. My big boy is so sensitive.

Well not cry like we do wih tears, but i think they have the emotions to feel sad enough to cry if they could

Petri

Well according to Stanley Coren, the author of "How to Speak Dog," he has seen a dog cry. The first time was when a dog was in extreme pain and tangled up in barbed wire, the second time was actually before his own dog died. Correct in the fact they normally do not cry, but I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Petri answered on 1/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Knute

I've had dogs for over 40 years and was born to love dogs. During my experiences with dogs I have witnessed two of my dogs cry. Quite a few years back a friend of mine wanted me to watch his Basset Hound, Goliath, while he moved to Colorado and when he got things settled he was supposed to come back and get his dog. When Goliath was dropped off and his previous owner left, his eyes swelled up but no fluid came out but they did swell up almost completely shut and then he just sat by the screen door and gently whimpered for over 30 minutes.

The second time was just a few days ago when my 11 month old Australian Cattle dog, Aurenrie, watched as I buried her Mother and her two sisters. Aurenrie did the exact same thing as Goliath but was graveside and not at the screen door.

I know dogs cry.

Knute answered on 12/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer