Can anyone tell me what a high kill home is? I have been wondering for a while now. I have a 16 week old lab and chow mi

Asked by Member 1042469 on Jul 27th 2011 in General

Answers

Do you mean 'high kill shelter' ?

It's a shelter that has so many dogs, cats, and other pets coming in and so few adopted that they have little space. To make room for the high volume coming in, they have to euthanize more pets. In CT. We have a high adoption rate, most shelters and pounds give pets at least a week to find a new home before they consider putting them to sleep
In some areas pets have only 72 hours....not 3 days...72 hours!
If you rescued from a high kill shelter we thank you so much! Good job!

Actually, if my math is correct, 72 hours is three days. Otherwise, Pepper gave a good answer.

You must mean a high kill shelter. High kill shelters are animal shelters that will euthanize an animal in 24, 48, 72 hours. However, there's a high kill shelter in my area and they'll keep animals for days, weeks or months until they get adopted. They kept one dog for 8 months and after 8 months, they euthanized the dog. They are a high kill animal shelter and sometimes will only give the dog a few or a couple days.