Can anyone recommend a breed of dog that would make a good watch dog and also get along with my beagles and goats?

I live on a farm and there have been some daytime burglaries in my area so I want to get a large dog to act as a deterrant. I am concerned that some of the more traditional watch dogs will be aggressive toward my beagles and goats. Is there a perfect breed for me?

Asked by Member 644660 on Jun 25th 2008 Tagged livestock, bestbreed, goats, guarddog in Breeds

Best Answer

Any guard breed will be good as long as it was raised and socialized the right way. Most folks don't know that. That is why some of the breeds have a bad image, because of people not raising it right.
Look through several of the breeds. Study them. Pick the best one for your lifestyle.
Some good watchdog breeds are:
German Shepherds
Collies (believe it or not)
Rottweilers
Dobermans

There are some others that don't come to mind right now.
Second, where to get one is an issue as well. Shelter and rescue is probably the best place to get an adult dog in this case.
Reputable breeders (learn what makes a breeder reputable here: cookiemiller.tripod.com )sometimes have young adult dogs available.
Places NOT to buy from include pet stores.
You can also find a dog from a private individual through newspaper adds. But "breeders" who advertise in papers aren't reputable ones 99% of the time. (The website that I gave you a link to explains why.)

Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on Jun 25th.

Answers

Charley is a pitbull. go into his page and you will see in the pictures that he not only loves his sister the beagle but also his cat brother Scooter. as long as they are trained right they are super great dogs.

Daniel the Spaniel

A Great Pyreness would certainly fit the bill. They are innately superb with livestock, natural guardians, and indeed there is a smaller breed they were meant to work alongside back when they originated. Bred as flock guards, they are very serious about their property, but you MUST fence them or they'll claim your entire neighborhood. You could go through rescue and surely they could find an ideal match for you. Be prepared, however, that they'll want to know you will welcome this dog as a forever member of your family. Any hassles you have to go through will be well worth it....there are plenty of adult Pyrs longing for not only a home, but a job!

Daniel the Spaniel answered on 6/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If the threat of burglaries in your area is your only reason for wanting to add another dog to your family, then I would recommend you save the money and spend it on a nice wireless camera set up for your property, some sort of early warning system, or an inexpensive shotgun (and classes on how to use it), instead.

Most burglars will not be more deterred by a large "guard dog" than they will be by your Beagles. In most cases of crimes of opportunity, a bark is enough for a burglar to find another, easier place to break into. In cases of serious crime, a burglar will have no problem shooting, poisoning, or otherwise harming your dog to get your valuables.

In terms of guard dogs, I would want to point out that "traditional watch dogs", such as German Shepherds are excellent with other dogs and may well herd the goats rather than harm them. But then again, Shepherds are family dogs and don't do well stuck outside to "guard" the property, anyway, so they would be a poor choice anyway.

Koby

I would actually have to not recommend a shelter dog at this point, as you have no clue of its past. For all you know the dog is in the shelter for chasing livestock, and at least in my area, shelters will say ANYTHING to get a dog adopted out.

Koby answered on 6/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm with Abby, a guard dog wouldn't be your best bet. Because, my view on guard dogs is- when they're in danger, who's gonna "guard" them?
But, I'm also a little confused about your question. There's a bit of a difference between a watchdog and a guard dog. See, my chihuahua is a watchdog. She lets my know if someones coming in the yard, she lets me know if someone shouldn't be trusted, et cetra. But, a guard dog is often kept outside to patrol the property and protect the house if the need comes.
See, good watchdogs are breeds such as:
American pit bull terriers
Chihuahuas
Shih tzus
Dachshunds
Miniature Schnauzers

But, good guard dogs are breeds such as:
Dobermans
Rottweilers
Giant schnauzers
Dalmatians

I suggest you get a watchdog. They can do their job from inside. But, if it's a guard dog you want... that's up to you.
Hope I helped at least a little.