Ozzie

Can anyone reccommend a good quality, low carb, low glycemic index, dry food I can feed my blind, 5yr old, diabetic chih

Asked by Ozzie on Oct 27th 2013 Tagged diabetes, stabalize, food in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Prescription food from your veterinarian is your best bet along with the insulin and ph testing. Even though the food is pricey, your dog is small so it will take you a long time to get through a bag. You also have to feed diabetic treats. Ensure he has plenty of water at all times as well, and you will adjust, just as he will. If he gets sick quickly, there are dialysis pills for dogs in renal failure available from your vet. ^_^

I would ask in the food and nutrition forum in the community section. I personally find whatever the vet is usually pushing to be subpar in comparison to most of the higher quality brands out there.

The best thing to do is to ask the vet for a good recommendation that would fit your dog's nutritional needs.

Orijen and Acana are both really good dog foods. Try looking into feeding either one of them.