can anyone have a dog put down even if they are not the owner

Asked by Member 980484 on Apr 9th 2010 Tagged healthandwelfare in Animal Welfare

Answers

I don't believe it's legal to do that.

Around here if you are not the owner you need to have a certified written release from the actual owner.

If the dog has been apprehended for biting, a court can order it be put down without the owner's consent, if there is a history of prior bites. That's in the area where I am; check your local laws. Also if your dog is at large and menacing livestock the owner of the livestock can legally protect his animals by killing the dog. Again, check your laws in your area.

no they can't. I wish you could elaborate on this more.
If you are not the owner you can't.
But if the dog is being neglected and emanciated you should report the dog to the shelter or police so someone can help them.