*Tommy*

Can any dog become a hunting dog if trained right?

I would like to train my dog to become a hunting dog but i dont now if i can can he be trained to be a hunting dog if he isnt a hunting dog breed?

Asked by *Tommy* on Oct 29th 2010 in Methods of Training

Answers

He looks like he has lab in him. I would try. But know that Border Collies are herding dogs and he may lean towards those instincts instead. Good Luck!

It depends on the dog, I am going to use sight hounds for example. They are breed to hunt by running the prey down. It would be very hard to get that trained out of the dog. With alot of work you may be able to train them to be a hunting dog

You can train a dog to hunt if they have a natural propensity towards doing so. Just as you can scent train a horse for all the same things police dogs and S&R dogs are trained for. It really depends on the individual animals personality and natural behavior. It also really depends on what it is you wish them to hunt and if their personality can handle it.

For instance....Australian Shepherds are more herding dogs but, I taught mine to hunt for rats and mice in and around the barn instead of getting a cat or using poison. American Staffies are not herding dogs and I know of two trained for herding cattle and sheep, and they are amazing at it!!

My feeling is that if you are skilled and patient enough, you can train any dog to do any task- some will have more natural aptitude for certain things, but nothing's impossible. There was an example I loved in a training book (sorry, can't remember which one!) about a man who trained his pack of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels to hunt rabbits. Now this is one of the least predatory breeds there is, but with positive reinforcement they now look for bunnies wherever they go and ruthlessly kill them when they find them... So yes, any dog can be trained to hunt.

BUT- I caution this- if you want him to fetch game for you after you shoot it (like a Labrador Retriever) make sure he isn't terrified of gunshots first. You would have to work on getting him accustomed to gunfire before any other training.

Starbutt

I say YES my father knew a guy that had a English bull dog that hunted I can't recall what they dog hunted but I found this interesting since this breed was not a hunting breed. I reckon it would be like a search a rescue dog they train many breed for this ppitbulls labs I even heard of a cha wa wa (sorry can't spell it) think about it a cha wa wa doing search and rescue might not be so bad it can get into smaller spaced where a bigger dog can go I have heard of small dogs doing stuff at the airport to not breed to do do this sort of work. I would say GO FOR IT

Starbutt answered on 4/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer